Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the same boost pressure do you get the same launch from a trans lock as compared to brake torquing?

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm no expert but I think the big difference here is that the trans brake will allow you to build boost pressure at the line before you release it whereas the brake torque method usually results in little to no boost buildup before you start spinning the tires. dunno

HTH

Dan

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Two advantages that I am aware of for a tranny brake. First, you can build boost until something breaks. :)

Secondly, the car is not twisted by engine torque thru the driveline and the car tends to initially launch truer rather than being distorted as much.

One heck of a shock to the rear end when the brake is released, tho.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's why I'm thinking that the brake torque method might be better for lower 60' times, you are loading the whole driveline including the tires and there is less "shock" when the brake is released. As you get close to the boost hold limit the tires are just starting to turn and are loaded whereas with the trans brake they see no torque until the shock of release.

This asumes you can build adequate boost against the brakes.

·
Registered
309 Posts
There may be some that have gotten better 60 fts off the brake but I believe the majority will state that they get the best 60 fts with a trans brake...including me...I couldn't launch worth crap off the brake no matter how many times I tried...plus the fact that I was unable to hold a lot of boost...with the trans brake as was stated there is no limit to the boost you can launch with...other than things breaking...besides knocking a tenth off my 60 ft I get consistent launches/60 ft times every time with the transbrake...off the brake I was all over the place...I'll never go back to launching of the brake...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts