Turbo Buick Forums banner

trans fluid leaking from lines

956 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  ILBCNU6 
#1 ·
i have a trans cooler at the front of the radiator. Recently i have been seeing oil leaking out where the rubber lines meet the cooler inlets and outlets. I have been driving with a heavy foot a lot especially in the cold weather. Should i just tighten the fittings or is the oil leaks normal because of all the pressure when going at high speeds?

------------------
87 GN Hardtop~ stock motor, stock intercooler w/Duttweiler big neck,stock D5 converter, TE 51 w/.63 exhaust housing,big mouth cold air induction, hotwired walboro 340, MSD 50's, cold air induction, stock TB and plenum, THDP, 3" ATR dual exhaust, 10 mm Magnecor wries, B&M tranny cooler, performance transmissions deep aluminum pan, Dynotech shift kit, VDO gauges, Autometer boost gauge, SMC alchy injection, PTE remote oil system, ATR 3" maf pipe, scanmaster 2, boost command

#2 ·
If you bother to take it off and out of the car replace the rubber hoses. If you can get at them with a screwdriver tighten them up a few turns first as a test.

#3 ·
Leakage is not normal" If the cooler tube goes far enough in the hose use two clamps if hoses are in good condition & retightening them dont work. You do have the right size hose on the cooler I assume?

------------------
To hell with 12's Im going for the 11's!

Keith Davis**86GN, Astroroof, DigDash' TTA crank, Ported polished heads & matched intake'Jay's 62mm TB/upper, TRW .30 forged pistons & PT51 Turbo, Manly SS valves, CC 206-206 cam' Postons headers, Orange stripe conv. THDP,2 1/2 exhaust' Hooker comp. mufflers' SMC alky,Boost command, Scanmaster2, MSD50 inj, SS MAF & translator' Nitto DR's 275/50/15, All the braces, All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

#4 ·
Originally posted by smokin6:
I have been driving with a heavy foot a lot especially in the cold weather.

you too? lol gotta love this cold air! these car totally rock in winter

------------------
http://www.angelfire.com/in4/d0n_3d/

1987 Buick Grand National (owner since 1997) - 80,000 miles, everyday driver (rain, sleet, hail, snow, its seen it all) engine never opened up, basic bolt on upgrades include:

Cold-air induction w/ 9" K&N air filter behind headlights, Accufab adj. fuel regulator (set at 45 psi), Walbro GSS 307 fuel pump w/ Casper's hotwire upgrade kit, adj. wastegate actuator (set at 17 lbs), 160 degree thermostat, tb coolant lines blocked, 3" Poston's DP w/ 2.5" Hooker exhaust & AeroChamber mufflers, 3" hi-flow CAT, basic chrome engine dressup items, stock rims on BF Goodrich P255/60/R15 all-weather rear tires, newer paint, 30lb VDO boost gauge and 100psi fuel gauge

first track times ever this spring:)

Note to all Ford/Import owners: BUICK OWNZ J00;)

#5 ·
yeah these cars rule in cold weather!

I bought the B&M supercooler and it came with the right rubber lines. the cooler tube does go far enough into the hose. I'll try another clamp. I know this hasn't happened when driving normally. Only when going WOT several times on the street.

#6 ·
well i tried another clamp by the cooler and tightened the clamps some more. still leaking. hoses are in excellent condition and go all the way into the cooler tube and the metal lines. Think its the cold weather having to do with it? Its getting really chilly in NJ right now

#8 ·
i'm using the rubber lines that came with the cooler. It wasn't leaking in the summer. when it started to get really cold thats when it started leaking. Its not a really bad leak. After driving the car, I'll see a little bit of fluid on the rubber hose next the cooler inlets and outlets

#9 ·
Use 2 screw clamps on each in-out connection.
Also trim off a inch so you have new hose to clamp on to.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:ULYCYC@TurboBuicks.comULYCYC@TurboBuicks.com</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

#10 ·
are you talking about the clamp with the screw and the threads of the screw tighten the clamp? if you are then thats what i'm using. I think it came with the trans cooler kit too.

#11 ·
Use a total of 4 clamps on the cooler. 2 on each side. They tell you 1 on each side.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:ULYCYC@TurboBuicks.comULYCYC@TurboBuicks.com</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

#12 ·
Smoking6, thats the perfect size cooler to run with a stock tranny or slightly modified one! Very little pressure drop with the max cooling. Install it at the upper right side (like the GNX one) You need another one? I have one to sell with pre-bent steel lines to look like stock and the mounting kit too! $25 like new? Gene

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.