Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slowly leaning on the "new" motor. 18 degree timing, 22 lbs boost netted a best mph of 116.3 today in the 1/4 (92.7 in the 1/8th). 92 oct, alky, convertor unlocked. Question is, how much would it gain with higher timing? I presume the usual ~2mph gain if I locked the convertor.

P&p heads, 214 roller, 8.5:1, TE67, 10in. 3500 stall, front mount, ME-R, alky, 275/60/15s.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One little correction to above, 20 degrees in first, 18 degrees in 2nd & 3rd.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Presuming that you will only gain two mile per hour when locking the converter is your first mistake. :) There is nothing usual about that at all.

Take the rpm that you were turning when you crossed the line and compute what mph you should have been turning. Assuming a 100% efficient lock up, that will give you an idea as to what the lock up would give you. I don't expect a truly 100% number, but, it should be close.

Back to the timing question. Why worry about timing until you have gotten the boost maxed out? After that point is reached, you can see if a bit more timing will produce more speed. I normally expect boost to give more results than timing..but, there is a sweet spot where both can be optimized. I would not try to push the boost beyond the efficiency zone on the turbo.

Seems like Razor has posted a procedure for getting the best from both. :)

·
Someone Crown My Ass!
7,081 Posts
Brake or no brake? When you get to use that to its fullest you will be amazed! Congrats! :D

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn Steve, assuming 100% would put me at a theoretical 124mph--I better double check that trap rpm, I'm going by memory right now, that can't be right can it?
If it is right, I won't worry about more timing for now--I'll be needing the roll bar, harness & etc.

Jesse, that was no brake, leaving lazy with a 2.15 60 ft. Netted a [email protected] 116.3mph. BTW, shifts in drive were 5625 1-2, 5550 2-3.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Troy, get your car to plant the tires. You should be able and do something under a 2.0. Anything above a 2.0 60 foot is a waste of a run. On street tires worse case is a 2.0 but you need to learn to drive it. Leave at 3-4 PSI boost and gradually go down on the pedal.. not slam it down.. bet it will 60 foot a lot better.

Your pickup from 1/8 to 1/4 netted you a 24 MPH gain. That is rite on the money for your speed. I would leave your O2 target alone.. and work on cranking the boost up and getting the car to 330 better. Do this.. you should be running low 11's with a few more degree's timing.

Now the big advantage to running higher timing is reduced EGT.. the more timing.. the lower EGT will be..

So my suggestion.. really.. borrow a set of slicks, bump your timing to 23-24 degree's, leave on boost like 6-8 PSI and see how the car responds at 22 PSI. Once you get it to 23/24 degree's timing.. bump the boost up.. leave at 10-12 PSI.. you 'll break into the 10's if you can keep your 24+ MPH pickup.

Keep fresh oil in the crankcase, make sure your plugs are in excellent condition, make sure there is plenty of fuel in the tank, work on it..

Sounds like a strong running car to run 116.xx on 22 PSI and low timing.. Lets get it to 124 and you'll see a huge diff in power.

HTH

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Razor, I have been able to get some 1.6x 60fts in the past(even a couple weeks ago), but I noticed a new odd problem with my brakes this last weekend that makes it really tough to hold much boost again. Will keep working on it :usa:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, relocated the solenoid after the prop. valve and it no longer holds the rear tires during a burnout--but due to other technical difficulties it doesn't hold the fronts either :D Figured out what I did wrong this last time, should be a quick fix. Best from yesterday: 1.90 60ft, 7.56 @ 95 1/8th mile run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts