Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When taking ARP head bolts through torque cycles, am I supposed to allow a certain amount of time between cycles, or is this all done at once? Arp suggests 5 torque cycles to properly stretch the bolt. It is unclear to me if I should give it time between cycles.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
torque it, back it off, retorque, back off...repeat until you have five cycles :)

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steve Wood said:
torque it, back it off, retorque, back off...repeat until you have five cycles :)
Thanks for responding Steve. So no waiting between torque cycles.
I have been researching head install with ARP bolts, and the more I read, the more confused I am-too many conflicting opinions. The info that came with my 170K psi bolts says to that if I'm using thread sealant, I should take the bolts to 65ftlbs and if I'm using 30 wt oil I should go to 85ftlbs. Now I think oil is only used in blind-end applications where the bolt doesn't enter the coolant passages. Since all of my bolts go into the passages, I plan on using Loctite 567 on all bolts and putting molypaste or 30wt under the washers. But should I go to 85ftlbs with the thread sealant?
Sorry to be a pain the arse, but there is just too much info.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The ARP sealant is a lubricant as well...that is what the tech guy told me when I asked.

The loctite has teflon, but, I don't think it is all that slick due to its density. I would use 85#.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.