Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here goes some newbie questions. Why are tc's offered in different sizes (ie 9.0,9.5,10.0)? What are the benefits of one size over the others?Why are different sizes offered for the same transmission? Ok, I know some turbos require different stall speeds. What does a 2800 stall coverter do differently than a 3200 or 3000 stall convertor?

<small>[ November 25, 2003, 06:46 PM: Message edited by: ehopper302 ]</small>

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
well a 2800 stalls lower then a 3000 and a 3200.. i love my 2800 just wish i would have went with a 10" converter

·
Registered
273 Posts
I can tell you while it's fresh in my mind, as I just swapped from a 12" 3000 stall to a 9.5" 3400 last week. The converter swap was THE single most impressive mod I've ever done. It dropped me from 13.4's to 12.1's with no other changes (except LOWER boost!). YOU CANNOT HAVE TOO MUCH CONVERTER! Within reason. yup

Russ

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I find this to be a good unbiased converter write-up that should answer all your questions.
The words 'unbiased' and 'converter' are hard to come by in the same sentence these days. Cool article Ed. headbang

<small>[ November 26, 2003, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: Orlando_87GN ]</small>

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I think I got a handle on stall speed. Still I'm confused why there are different size coverters for the same tranny. Can someone explain that for me in simple terms?

<small>[ November 28, 2003, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: ehopper302 ]</small>

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
The major difference being a reduced rotating mass. Remember the TC is essentially bolted right to the crank so it's a lot of weight to spin up. The smaller you go the lighter (typically), but there are trade off I am sure someone else can explain... (not an expert on the subject by any means).

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
The larger the diameter of the converter, the more the blades have to be bent to raise the stall speed. The more the blades are bent, the more the converter tends to slip and lose efficiency under load. This is the reason that 12" converters are lousy past about 2800 stall.

Smaller diameter converters inherently have higher stalls due to blade length and the blades have to be bent less to obtain higher stalls. They may not be as strong as the larger diameter units unless beefed up during assembly and the added slip may shorten unit life thereby increasing the need for additional tranny cooling.

On a given converter, two things affect stall once the converter has been put together. Torque and vehicle weight. The greater either is, the more stall the converter will produce.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts