Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the torque converter clutch take repeated WOT 1/4 mile runs locked in 4th gear above 4500 RPM? Does grounding one of the ALDL pins lock the converter and can I do this with the Turbo-Link hooked up?

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Left ALDL connector in the top row is the lockup, shorted to ground it will lock.

Can't see why you can't with turbolink should be no problem there the ECM does it.

Why are you racing in 4th gear?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Depends upon the converter type and quality....with a good converter, the tranny may not take it in OD and Salvage has the right question.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Bullfrog:
Can the torque converter clutch take repeated WOT 1/4 mile runs locked in 4th gear above 4500 RPM? Does grounding one of the ALDL pins lock the converter and can I do this with the Turbo-Link hooked up?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Bullfrog:
Something a little different. My thinking is why not use 4 gears instead of 3 with a car of this type. I'm running a 4.56 gear with 26" slicks with the stock converter (and turbo) and not over stressing the tires. I'm not set up to build a lot of boost on the line.

I did throw off the govenor springs last time out in the burn out box. Things happen quick with that gear. Is there a source for an over-the-counter governor that's set up to be bullet proof?

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Hey Bullfrog,

Take it for what it is worth, I ran a 4.88 gear in one of my cars (it now has 3.50) and we had trouble like you with the governor. We also had trouble with the tranny not making enough line pressure to shift 1-2 so quickly. Maybe we should of tried different things with our tranny when we were running the 4.88 gears but we didn't like them. We have had the best 60', ET and MPH running a 3.50 gear (Ford 9" rearend) and 28" tall tires. When we bought the 4.88 we were originally going to go to 5.13 but they weren't in stock at the time.

Our cars love to make low end torque because our cams and heads are so small. We make huge amounts of torque and not too much hp.

Good luck with your combo,

P.S. - We have run a best of 11.38 @ 120+ mph with a 1.50 sixty foot time while running a TE-44 turbo.

Paul Beal
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts