Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We I'll try to make this short. I bought my GN 2 years ago next month. I bought it as a fun investment after putting endless amount of time and money in to my 78 Dodge Aspen. I bought the Aspen as a roller for $900, it's a solid car with only 35k on the chassie. I put a big block in it and raced it. Then a few paint jobs, engines and chassie work(roll bar and likes) I have a little over 20k into it. This is since 1989. Well I got tired of working on it, the loud mech roller and roll bar (must have been getting old) so I wanted something newer and queiter. I always wanted to efi turbo the Aspen (man that would have been a sick ride) but couldn't think of spending 10k to re-do the motor and then buy an efi set up and the plumbing for the turbos, so I bought a GN. I paid good money for a stock 86 with 44k miles. I have about 3k in up grades (wheels, tires, turbo........etc) and the car runs ok for what it has. I'd love to make the car faster but I'm really afraid of twisting it up. I don't want to put a bar in it or cut it up. I started gather parts to do a nice 4.1 (not a stage) for it but have put that on hold till I figure out what I'm going to do. Am I going over bored on think of putting the car back to stock and selling it and then buy a hard top (roller) that I can beat the hell out of and not worry about twisting it up? I'm really fighting with myself over this. I don't want to throw my money away on beating up a nice car. I really do like the GN's though. Know one knows what a Dodge Aspen is :( but they do know what a GN is :yup: Whats everyone take on this? I still have the Aspen an thought about putting the 4.1 in it since it's all set up to race. Problem is i don't have time for 2 cars :(

Thanks
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
13,053 Posts
why a 4.1 .. use what you have .. how fast do you want to go ?? :dunno:

·
Full Head Of Hair!!!!
4,347 Posts
Don't worry about T-Tops :D, My friend Greg has a '84 MCSS with a 502 in it that him and his dad built, and it runs high 9's :yup:

As long as ya got a cage in the car then your fine :yup:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 3.8 is enough for my goals but I don't want to hurt the stock motor or trans. Thought it be easier to make powerwith more cubes.

Don't want to put a cage in the car, thats one of the problems. To me thats cutting it up

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
now thats two nice cars!!!! imo the t top car will live without a roll bar if you dont 60 ft. it to hard!! i sold my 87 t in 1998 it went low 12s to mid 11s did that for years the 60ft was 1.6s to 1.7s and it had t tops! the aspen is nice but the gn is a better investment imo. :cheers:

·
8,392 Posts
You came to the wrong place to get an unbiased opinion. :) (GN v Aspen)
Your GN is sweet. I'd hate to see you cut it up.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
YI_work said:
We I'll try to make this short. I bought my GN 2 years ago next month. I bought it as a fun investment after putting endless amount of time and money in to my 78 Dodge Aspen. I bought the Aspen as a roller for $900, it's a solid car with only 35k on the chassie.
I was at the same stage a few months ago, ie to cage the GN or not.
I bought a gutted (theft recovery?) Stang, and I'm going to put a GN powertrain into it. It's going to be a steel shell with a GN powertrain. Nothing crazy engine wise is planned, but it'll be light, very low maintance, and pretty quick.

While the SVO guys hollered about what I was doing, in essence I was saving it from the crusher. I can't see cutting up a good car, to make a racer out of it, thou others will argue the point.

Also, with using a 84 shell, and 87 powertrain, all it'll ever need is an EGR, sealed gas cap, and CCC to be *legal*. The smog laws that I've seen so far always allow for putting a newer drivetrain in an older body. You just never know how much power the EPA will be given a few years from now.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
for what its worth i'm going for low 1.6x 60's with my new motor. t-tops no cage or bar. i say put the 4.1 in the aspen!

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
firebird_1252 said:
i say put the 4.1 in the aspen!
Thats what I'd like to do. It's all set up with an 8 point bar and frame tied. It be lite too. The Aspen weighted 3450 with an iron headed big block, so a 4.1 should be about 200lbs less. Well maybe not with the plumbing.

I'm taking the GN to the track this coming friday, after that its going back to mostly stock.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i'd say do it! and if you want to unload the intercooler and turbo let me know LOL

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
firebird_1252 said:
i'd say do it! and if you want to unload the intercooler and turbo let me know LOL

If I don't do another G-body it will be up for sale

1 - 11 of 11 Posts