Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone notice their car running better when their tank is full, like up to the nozzle full? I dont get it - I usually top it off when I fill up, but lately it seemed like its been gettin testy in the mornings since I'm using it for work. Stuttering and wanting to stall until it warms up. Today was no exception, but at lunch I topped off the tank, like REALLY topped it off. I immediately noticed a difference, pulled out of the gas station and it threw me back into the seat. On the way home from work it was boosting with the lightest touch of the gas pedal, I think I tore the paint off some other cars on the turnpike just passing them. :D Is it just the right atmosphere, or does topping off the tank affect something? I have a new hotwired Walbro 340 pump in there, so that shouldn't be an issue, unless a line broke or something. I tested fuel pressure in the past and it was right, even Dunn checked it.

Could it maybe be a broken line or something sucking up air, where its foaming up? Maybe the ethanol? :dunno:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Maybe the screen is so full of sh*t, that putting gas in the tank swirled some of the crap off of it temporarily. Nothing else comes to mind right off.

·
Gotta love the autobahn!
2,726 Posts
When you say topping it off, are you referring to going from nearly empty all the way full, or just a few gallons (as in, already at 3/4 tank or so). I would theorize that the gas is cold that you are putting into the tank. The gas sits in the ground and is cold. Just like cold air, cold fuel gives more 'power'. Of course, putting it in your tank, it warms up after a while and is the 'normal' power.

Also, do you have your charcoal canister operational? Did you cap off the line?

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as I know the canister works - it passed emissions last year when I got it inspected. I was thinking along those lines though.

As for the other question - yeah in this case it was practically empty, and I filled it almost up to the top of the tube. That could've been the case, but even this morning its still running a lot better than it has, unless I had some bad gas in there.

When we did the fuel pump, a new sock was installed and whatever crud in the tank was cleaned out, but honestly there was a lot of crud in there, so maybe it needs to be cleaned again.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
I was gonna say could be junk in the tank. Change the fuel filter a few times and maybe drop the tank and clean it real good. When Jim Dunn did my fuel pump and hot wire kit he was cussin me out because my tank was loaded with crap too. He cleaned it for like an hour! So that tank could be the issue!

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ask Gregg - we we dropped the tank there were full-blown LEAVES in there (long skinny ones), so I have no clue how they got in there, nor do I want to know. I'll see how it goes and replace the filter.

·
Neverlift Society
2,293 Posts
Why bring my name into this? I admit to nothing! .... o.k., there were some leaves in there. But from what I remember we cleaned it out pretty good. I wouldn't think it is a full tank thing though making it run better.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll see what happens as it runs down. I already used a 1/4 tank of gas (damn commute).

·
Original Owner
578 Posts
Keep checking your fuel pressure at different tank levels if it does not change but the car runs sh!tty it must be something else. Maybe you got a bad batch of gas with water in it.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may have found part of the problem...IAC was all over the place so I took it out and messed with it, now it works ok, so I guess I prob need a new IAC, but then I went driving around with the scan tool tonight, everything looked good but heard a squealing sound. Came back and found my belt seperated into 3 mini belts, one of which had popped off. Nice.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok another thing - unless I had the wrong option selected on my OTC4000, IAC counts were at 000 to 005 at idle, 40-60 driving down the road. Gregg - does the 4000 do percent too? If so maybe thats what I had it on..just got the 4000 so I'm learning how to use it.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
gnetic86 said:
found my belt seperated into 3 mini belts, one of which had popped off. Nice.
These cars apparently have a habit of using up idler pulleys. Maybe you will find one that is siezed. One of these days I need to change my belt. I might just change all the idlers at the same time. BTW...that whining noise keeps getting louder and lasting longer...I may be na soon if it's the supercharger... :crazy:

·
Neverlift Society
2,293 Posts
gnetic86 said:
Gregg - does the 4000 do percent too? If so maybe thats what I had it on..just got the 4000 so I'm learning how to use it.
No, you may view different modes or screens, but the info would be the same no matter which screen you view.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm...what would cause the IAC counts to be so low then? Is it just idling that good?

Aaron, the idler is, er was brand new (2 yrs old), but that doesn't mean its not bad. I'm going to check it and the other pulleys out before I put the new belt on. Ironically, when I went to get the belt, I saw the guy from Newtown (who came to the last Bensalem Hooters meet) in the Napa parking lot putting a battery in his GN. He got a whole new tubular suspension, and huuge Baer brakes with slotted rotors. Spent a fortune!

PS - I may have gotten me another beater to mess with. It was too good to pass up but I think I have a project ahead of me. I was going to wait on the GP until I find out whats going on with this house I'm lookin at, but the beater I picked up needs a lil more work than I intended. I think I'm just gonna splurge and get it fixed already. Im gonna be so poor. :mad:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts