Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im Due and Im on the fence.. I picked up the paper work but the "no modification" thing has me concerned.. The no inspection thing is nice but also dont want to be hastled all the time not that I drive it that much..The way I read it is $44 for 3 yrs and must be renewed every 3 but no fee.. What are you guys doing ?

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
I argued with myself for quite a few years about this with my Tiger back when it 1st became eligible. I was concerned with those driving restrictions.
Over the years, I "observed" many instances at Shows where cars plenty far from stock had the QQs. Then a guy at work brought his pro-street Chevelle in one day... tubbed, giant modded big block (shook the building when he brought it in), full cage... and to top it off his personalized plate was 'Q/Q CAGED'. He claimed to never being hassled by any law enforcement.
:2cents:Eventually I decided to go with the Historic registration/tags due to the advantage of the "no inspection" rule. The no-cost renewal is a big factor (especially now with 4) and the no front plate is also a nice perk.
I do think that if "someone" really wanted to start enforcing the "fine print" - a lot of us would have a problem :dunno: but until then, enjoy the advantages.

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
Go QQ!!!
I was on the fence with Cindy Lou's 87 GN...it has always passed regular inspection but the no cost for registration and no inspection won out!!! We only put a couple hundred miles on it yearly so it went QQ!!!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Im Due and Im on the fence.. I picked up the paper work but the "no modification" thing has me concerned.. The no inspection thing is nice but also dont want to be hastled all the time not that I drive it that much..The way I read it is $44 for 3 yrs and must be renewed every 3 but no fee.. What are you guys doing ?
I went qq and they never checked me for mods. Just take pics with stock looking rims, yes after the initial fee renewal is free!

·
Registered
947 Posts
QQ hands down big daddy

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
...and the no front plate is also a nice perk.
Mark...I know many who don't use the front plate but I have never seen it written that you do not need to install it!! I made up a front tag mount on the Camaro...so it wouldn't draw any more attention to "Officer Joe Law"...I know trying not to draw attention to Cindy Lou's bright red 1970 Big Block Camaro with headers and minimal exhaust system is no easy task!!!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did see your post Dan and that's kinda what got me thinking.. So one time $44 fee, no inspection, and register every 3 years with no cost..Unlimited miles ?...Sounds like a no brainer but just making sure I wasn't missing anything... I think I'm sold :usa:

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
Mark...I know many who don't use the front plate but I have never seen it written that you do not need to install it!!
One of my friends had given me a copy of NJ Legislature amendments to "Section 2 of P.L.1964,c195" stating the whole thing about only needing 1 plate and so forth (I've been carrying it in the Tiger since around 2001?). Further detailed review leaves questions as to whether this "amendment" was ever actually adopted... it looks like this has been around since 1998. Does anyone know of a way to check this for "fact"?

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
...and so it is written...I will also copy these and keep them in my glove box!!

STATEMENT

This bill would provide that the owner of a vehicle registered as
historic, which is defined under statute as a car at least 25 years old,
which is owned as a collector's item and used solely for exhibition and
educational purposes, shall not be required to display two historic
license plates on such a vehicle. An historic license plate may be
displayed solely on the rear of such a vehicle.

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/9899/Bills/a0500/463_i1.pdf
http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/9899/Bills/s1000/501_i1.pdf

Ok...so why did they give me two plates if I only have to install one???

·
Premium Member
6,914 Posts
I hear ya!!! I was told by old guys, don't install the front plate but still keep it in the car!!!

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
Thanks for the definitive answer Paul. You ARE the man :cool:
The Tiger has no provision for a front plate, and the TTA has no holes or bracket - I surely do not want to add any.

As far as the $44 vs $25... I always say that is what they call "revenue enhancement"

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was hoping for the no front tag too .. more for the Trans Am .... Hey Mark check out the bracket one of the previous owners made on mine.. bolts right to the bumper cover bolts...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.