Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Resident Embraer Driver
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to have the timing cover, and the heads off and everything apart soon.
Is there any advantage to going to just a tad bigger cam now that I have the heads ported? or dont bother, run what I got?

Joe

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Not till you are in the low 11s in my opinion. If you examine the bases of the lifters and see wear, then it might not hurt to go to a mild cam as a replacement.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Just depends upon your goals..how fast do you want to go and will it fit it with the rest of your combo. :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Before the cam change, you may want to consider a turbo upgrade, like a sweet little 61.

It's nice to stay out of the engine as much as possible, getting HP from externals wherever you can. :)

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Practically, Mid-11s... :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Joe,
I had the oppertunity to change the cam and I decided not to. Many run into problems, it seems to be that alot of these cams make more valve train noise. Which will contribute to false knock. Unless you want to spend a few dollars and go with a roller setup including a set of T&D roller rockers, I wouldent bother. Save yourself the hassle. I'm still running the stock cam, and I got more left in it. An alternative would be to go with a rocker setup with a higher ratio (i.e. 1.65) and get more lift out of the cam. You might have to get the guides machined to accomidate the new setup. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts