Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks simple enough. Like I may not have to pull everything apart. Anybody have any suggestions? People that have done it. It says drill a 3/4 inch hole for the EGR. Do all cars have an EGR, or is that somthing for an internal temp guage?? My car is all stock up top, so any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Drill the hole.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
EGR is Exhaust Gas Recirculation. It is an emissions system designed to cut down NOX. If you don't drill the hole, your chip should be "custom" or you might get some part throttle knock. EGR doesn't hurt performance, it is basically turned off at full throttle. And all our cars have it, as well as most other cars since sometime in the early seventies.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
See, It already has a hole in it. I just don't know if the hole in there is the hole I asked about, or if I have to drill another hole. The hole that is there now is about a quarter inch hole. Is this the egr hole, or is this for somthing else and I should still drill the hole? Thanks guys for your help.

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
Take the gaskets that came with the plate and place them on the plate. The little square box in the gasket is where the egr hole should be placed.

Mike

·
Registered
221 Posts
Ya know for 59 bucks you should be able to buy it with the hole if you wanted. I mean were talking a 2 buck piece of flat stock aluminum with about a minute and a half of laser cutting. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Then he would never sell a plate because no one could decide to buy one with a hole or without a hole...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, am I missing somthing here? Why would it be hard to decide? Because certain chips people are running will do better without the hole? I think I need the hole cause I am mostly stock. I thought this was gonna be simple. But I guess nothing worth it is
HELP

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Steve is just being crotchety and you are playing into his hand.

Drill the hole.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Think of glazed donuts. What would it be without the hole
Make sure your car is running good before you put the plate on.
Don't expect it to correct any existing problems.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Originally posted by BooBoo231cu:
So, am I missing somthing here? Why would it be hard to decide? Because certain chips people are running will do better without the hole? I think I need the hole cause I am mostly stock. I thought this was gonna be simple. But I guess nothing worth it is
HELP
been a dozen threads asking, drill, no drill. Some people believe that it might run faster without the egr hole. They don't know why they believe this, but they do. So they ask, should I drill, what about emissions, could I be related to Salvage (except they spell it savage) and so on.

Drill the damn hole and get on with it!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Right again there Steve.

Excepting I ain't related to anyone anymore.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Time for a Starwarian solution!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Buick T, if it was just that simple then why didn't you design the plate? Just a thought. Call Jason and ask nicely if he would cut out the EGR port for you, just another thought....There is always one in the crowd. Jeeeeze

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dude I don't have a problem drilling a hole. I did when I bought mine. The point was Jason could make it a simple option. Like I said, "just a suggestion". He gets what he get for them because he took the time to design the plate basically by trial and error. He can't explain the formula for the design it just works. If I could of got my hands on one I would have made my own copy. Thanks for the one in every crowd flame!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts