Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, need a little help. I've got a coolant leak between the timing cover and the block right at the coolant passage so I decided to pull the cover and replace the gasket. I've got the intercooler, water pump, coolant hoses and harmonic balancer removed and all the bolts but something seems to be holding the cover back. Any ideas? Do I need to remove the cam sensor before I can get the timing cover off? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Hired Wrench
125 Posts
It is a good idea to mark the position of the cam sensor and remove it. You did not mention the bolts at the oil pan. I would go ahead and pull the oil pan. Other than that there is one bolt that is kind of hidden. Look very carefully and make sure you did not miss any.

Mark E.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I got the pan bolts. Do you have to mark the cam sensor, I thought it didn't affect the timing? Are there any tricks to removing the cam sensor, do you need to rotate the engine to a certain position or should it just slide out?

Thanks.

·
Hired Wrench
125 Posts
Definitely need to reset the cam sensor when you do this job. There is a procedure. But it will not stop the cover from being removed. Probably have one more bolt still in.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
The timing cover has 1 bolt that is hard to see. Passenger side of centre & maybe 3" up from the pan lip. It hides behind the balancer you removed. Many have missed that bolt their first time removing the cover. As for Cam Sensor before you pop it out read these 2 sites regarding installation as it's important.
Turbo Regal Web Site (they should have a front cover diagram as well in tech)
Vortex Buicks (this should be mandatory reading along with gnttype)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the links.

I made sure I got that bolt behind the balancer, I can get the cover off almost an inch, the obstruction seems to be low on the drivers side. I haven't disconnected the fuel lines, I was hoping to slip the cover around them. Is removing the fuel lines mandatory?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, I got the Timing Cover removed, turns out the problem was the crank sensor mounting stud. Now that the cover is off is there anything holding the cam sensor on, it doesn't want to come loose. Also the Oil Pump gear that connects to the cam sensor won't slide through the cover, it seems to grab on the pass through, is it alright to force it or should I just leave it?

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
Dress the pump shaft with a fine file to remove any burrs that would score the housing on the way out. Also take a razor blade and brake parts cleaner and scrape/clean any crud off the shaft that will keep it from sliding out of the housing.

The cam sensor will come out with a good yank. Odds are you have crud in the bore on top of an oring and you're trying to drag across that.

Then take the entire cover apart, inspect it, and do some flow mods to the oil side. http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/buick-v6-turbo-tech/39169-how-build-front-cover-oil-pump.html

I've got brand new filter adapters, pumps, springs, relief valves and a complete SS allen bolt kit if it'll help you out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.