Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it's noisiy.After the car warms up a little or stepping on the gas the chain starts to rattle as the rpm's go up(slow accel)It is a double roller now and it seems to have gotten very noisey ina couple thou klm.Now my ? is,what's the alternative?stock with steel gears and tensioner or what?
car has 450 hp at the wheels &560 trq.Any info would be great since I just put all these bolt ons last summer and learing as i go on. thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
go faster?spend more money!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yes, it was a bad buy on the double as they stetch....go with a stock replacement set....with steel gears and the tensioner.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks steve !!!!!wealth of knowledge.
took the day off too? It too nice outside to work today .
thanks again.

[This message has been edited by BigMike (edited June 07, 2002).]

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that it was a no no on a Turbo V-6 to use a double roller chain.
Not sure what the reasoning for it being bad was though.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Double rollers tend to stretch more than single chains...also, they have a tendency to eat the tensioner and spit it out. Therefore, most of us don't use the tensioner because it just becomes more metal in the pan before it is over.

On the stock single chains, the stock tensioner keeps the slack in hand.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Mike, I have taken the last year off..now, I am preparing to move out to the farm and then I need to find a new means of making a living.

I started pulling the ac pieces off my son's car to replace compressor,dryer, etc but got caught by rain and two bolts that should be studs and they will not come out as the heads don't clear the clutch. Therefore, I will have to back each one out a bit at a time. Looks like I am going to have to pull the IC to get a wrench on the lower bolt. Now I know why so many only have one bolt or stud in them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts