Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well my car has 87K on it and the timeing chain has never been replaced. Should i go with a double roller timing chain? or not.
Tell me what i should get and where i can get one by monday. Today is Wensday yup

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
I'd go back with another STOCK timing chain and gear. Especially if you are using the stock cam. Look how long the original one has lasted yup . And double rollers don't use tensioners so WHEN they stretch there is nothing there to take in the slack. Other people will probably have different opinions on this but thats my O2sensors worth.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I love the $15 Dynagear timing sets from any parts stores..

While you are in there, install a new tensioner and the GM upgraded cam button. powersix

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
ditto

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the dyna gears ok cool
thanks guys

·
Occasional participant.
154 Posts
I believe DynaGear makes a stock replacement and a "double roller". The stock replacement uses the dampener and the "double roller" doesn't. I'd use the stock replacement w/dampener myself.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok but if im going to change the cam later will the new chain be alright? Or would i go to the double roller

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok but if im going to change the cam later will the new chain be alright? Or would i go to the double roller.While the chain is being changed should i do anything else?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Stay away from double rollers! When you get to godzilla springs and don't mind changing a stretched chain every couple of months, give it a try.

BTW, for the RollMaster fans, I think I still have one in the shop that lasted 4000 miles and was/is stretched all to heck.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Was recently offered 6 new RollBastages for 300.00

"Nope, sez I...sure, "profit" to be made with them...but I gotz to live with me conscience... foisting them off on unknowing newbies would be a felony!" ugh

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
NCBuickGN:
Was recently offered 6 new RollBastages for 300.00

"Nope, sez I...sure, "profit" to be made with them...but I gotz to live with me conscience... foisting them off on unknowing newbies would be a felony!" ugh
Not that I want to contradict you guys..oh hell, who am I kidding, of course I want to. yup
May I award you a small prize for overblown drama?

I like the stock replacement chains just fine but I have a double roller on my GN that's been on two different motors and seen at least 40k..still looks good.

Steve, do I recall your Rollmaster being on one of the cars with the budget roller? It may have stretched trying to haul all of those ragged metal chunks around. :D

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
Forget the fact that it stretches. How about the fact that it causes 20 degrees of knock retard at the top of every gear. ****ing pieces of ****.

I have seen this is 3 cars, 1 switched back to a stock plastic gear with tensioner and magically the "knock" went away.

uzi uzi uzi

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Kendall Frederick:
[
Steve, do I recall your Rollmaster being on one of the cars with the budget roller? It may have stretched trying to haul all of those ragged metal chunks around. :D
You may be getting old, but you got a good memory! LOL

·
Dr. Nehi
1,011 Posts
Very helpful information on the rollmasters.

Any opinions on the Edelbrock Performer-Link True-Rolling Timing Chain Sets?

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp&type=bysummitpart&searchtype=both&part=EDL-7829&x=20&y=7

thanks,
Scott

From http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html :
Performer-Link timing chain sets are for use with Edelbrock or stock cams. They have a solid-bushing chain for a true bearing surface that rolls with the sprockets, eliminating chain stretch. Crank gears are machined from SAE-1144 stressproof steel. Three Performer-Link sets are stock replacement parts and 50-state legal (see listings in bold type). All other sets have three keyway setting points to ensure accurate timing selection for early or late-model vehicles. Performer-Link timing sets are not for use above 6500 rpm

<small>[ September 05, 2003, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Scott GN231 ]</small>

·
Registered
530 Posts
The Edelbrock chains work good. I've used a few before with zero problems. :) Frank

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
While the Edlebrock chain might be nice, it's $50 ! eek!

If someone is replacing a stock set and doesn't need the extra key ways, the DynaGear chain under $15 is a no brainer...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I just degreed a motor last night with one of these Dynagear chains. It appears to be dead on. I have heard tales of cheap chains being made 3-4 degrees retarded (Chevy, not our cars). Not the case here, anyway.

·
Register Boozer
3,904 Posts
$50 because it says Edelbrock on it? F that! I'm happy with my $19.99 AutoZone water pump. I feel it's like those lightened flywheels that they sell for Hondas that are anodized in three different colors. Who's going to see it?

And why do they anodize SBC Chevy rockers, or any rocker set for that matter? Is it for corrosion purposes? It wears off anyways. It's aluminum for Christ's sake.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts