Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done the usual and bought a bunch of parts for my TR (plus the ones that came on the car). I think it's time to focus on a goal...
What I want is an absolute STREET BRAWLER. I rarely make it to the track (if ever)so I want to concentrate on my street performance. Areas of performance would be mostly roll on with some stop light action. I don't mind up or DOWN grading what ever works best for my performance goal...
here's my current setup:

stock short block and heads
power plate
XP+ pump
AFP
009 inj
160 stat
MaxEffort 16
basically stock ignition
TH down pipe w/dump (dump closed)
dual 2 3/4 exhaust w/ultra flow mufflers
cold air w/K&N (solid MAF pipe)
ATR TE60 turbo
Granger style boost controller (tuner style)
MPE stretch w/big neck IC
SMC single Methanol injection (not installed)
trans is fresh with PTS internal goodies
9/11 3200 stall converter
16" 245/50s
stock rear (342)

My complaint is lag I guess...when I floor it (stand still or roll) The engine seems to wind up and BAM - PULLS like a freakin' freight train...
No exhaust leaks...it seems like I need a more efficient (faster spooling) turbo.
To date, I've never run over 18lbs of boost. As soon as I get the injection kit on I'll crank it up BUT, I don't see that helping the spool up.

Any advice would be appreciated...
I've gone a built myself a race car when I want a street car...

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Your combo seems to be well matched. I think with the proper timing and fuel the low end performance will pick up. You need to dial in your Maxeffort. I'm no expert on the Maxeffort so let someone else chime in. Leave the alchy off until you solve your problem.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maplight equipped rear view mirror
I love the fact you listed this as a mod... headbang

That's kind of what I figured (combo match is good)... One thing I've noticed is part of the time when I nail the go pedal from a roll the car will go pretty good (not great), other times it just billows black (fuel) smoke... no consistant pattern to it that I can ID.
Right now the ME is set to default with the exception of the idle and cruise. I've messed with the other parameters a little but haven't had a great place to tune it. I'm also a little clueless on what parameter to adjust for midrange power...spool up? 0-4000? If I could get a roadmap of what each adjustment actually does, I'd feel more comfortable with it (add #s = more fuel? less fuel? different fuel curve? what are the maps of the different curves etc...) I'm proficient at tuning carbs so I have a tendency to try to understand it from a "carb" point of view. Maybe i just need some track time...

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
The maplight is the only mod that's trouble free wink I kinda thought you were pig rich and that's slowing down your spool. I'm sure Steve will log on soon and tell you how to lean it out. I think some versions have a "quick spool"feature also.

<small>[ June 25, 2003, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: ULYCYC ]</small>

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've e-mailed Steve about this before (like a year ago), he's top notch with his support but, maybe I just don't get it...or completely understand. I like to know what I'm tuning when I change the #s...what's changing exactly. It's not for lack of effort from Steve that i still have this problem...

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I think a 5000 stall will take care of that slow spool! :D

What is your fuel pressure set at? What thumb wheel position are you currently running on? What is the weather, humidity like where you are?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuel is now at 46ish static, thumbwheel is at 6. Anything position below that seems to slow the car down (butt dyno).
Weather is hot and humid (I'm in Illinois...what else would it be? HAha.) but this is one of those annoying problems that I've had for awhile. The thing I want to know most is why sometimes I get the fuel fog and others not...I know the car would be a total beast...I just need to get 'er dialed in. Any ME experts in the Springfield/St Louis/Indy/Chicago area? It'd be nice to have an experienced opinion while I'm trying to tune.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Okay, for the ME to work correctly, there are a couple of things that have to happen.

First, the car has to exceed 5000 rpm on wot shifts. You might check this with Steve because he used 4800 at one time on some smaller injectors.

Secondly, Your maf has to reach at least 245 on the way to 5000 rpm. This maf point is programmable in case you have a maf that only hits say 235.

If your car does not meet these two criteria, it will not shift from 0-4000 rpm, to the spool up curve, and ultimately to the wot curves that the thumbwheel selects.

Now, assuming it does so, Steve supplies plenty of fuel because he assumes you are running more boost than you currently are.

If you are going to stay at 18#, go to position 3 on the tw and see what number he has programmed into as a default.

Lower that number by about six numbers. That will lean down the launch mixture considerably. As I stated above, when you launch the car, the injectors go by the 0-4000 number and then the spool up curve number from 4000-5000. Once the ecm sees 5000 and a maf of 245, then it kicks over to the wot curves in the tw.

It does not matter what the tw is set on until that happens.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info Steve, I knew you'd chime in with some useful info.
So what about roll on accel?
Say cruising at 30 - 40 mph (2500 rpmish), punch it (steep part throttle not WOT). That's REALLY where I'd like to wake it up. Standing start it's pretty good...the part throttle is what seems lazy (passing in town for instance)

Thanks for the info, that's the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Helps me understand the inner workings of the ME better.

OK OK..I just reread your post....looks like I need to lean the 0-4000. I'll give it a shot.
THANKS

<small>[ June 25, 2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: zam70 ]</small>

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
My opinion is the 60 turbo is probably too big for blasts mainly in the 18psi range. I recommend a TE-44. If you ever outgrew the 44 you could always install an .82 exhaust housing in place of the .63 .

Maybe VIN7 can chime in and tell you his experience in switching from a TA-49 to a TE-60. I think he wishes the car still had the 49 because of the lag. powersix

<small>[ June 25, 2003, 10:45 PM: Message edited by: Orlando_87GN ]</small>

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
ZAM, the 0-4000 will handle your part throttle blasts.

As I said, the chips are set up rich in anticipation of more boost.

I think that if you will install your alky kit and jack the boost to about 22-23#, you will be stunned at the additional power.

I took my valve off the wastegate because I was getting so much spool that the nittos would not stay planted even from a roll.

At the moment, I have C16 in the tank and it does not spool nearly as well as 93 plus alky and I don't have near the traction problems even with more boost.

The trick with the ME is to set the various functions to provide about 1550 degs egt all the way thru the run. Absolute optimum may vary with combo a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts