Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a new GM timing cover part #25522658. Are there any prep changes I should do before install. On one of the covers on a recent thread there appears to be a small hole where the cam button would ride against.

thanks.

·
Dont visit foreign SITES
3,092 Posts
Yes read this:
http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39169&highlight=timing+cover
I dont know why this isnt a sticky in the tech section yet :confused:

I usually spend 3 hrs or so prepping and cleaning the front cover, I have dremel bits, sanders, wire wheels, ball hones, 1000 1500 grit sand paper.

ATTENTION:
There have been reports on here about the covers cracking by the fuel pump mount during install, both GM and aftermarket. AND cam sensor holes being machined incorrectly (misaligned).
Make sure the cover is flat, do a test fitting. I like to have the cam in the block without chain or lifters and then slide in the cam sensor to see that the gears mesh right.
Be especially careful when tourquing down, install the block off plate AFTER the cover is fully tourqued and have the crank sensor install part of the torque steps.
Even though there is a not formal tightening bolt sequence I do the
"4 corners" 1st and then work all of the bolts; opposite bolt to opposite bolt in increasing increments.

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
That's not a hole, just a flat spot with a circle around it. One other thing to check is the edges of the oil pump area. The new cover I got in had a couple of high spots from the edges banging against stuff. It only took a couple swipes with a needle file to knock the high spots down, but it would have kept the gasket from being able to seal.

I might make another article or add to my old one later today. I need to resurface my oil filter adaptor again. Some people have never been exposed to lapping and I still stand by my dislike of thrust plates.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
iownaGN-GS said:
I recently bought a new GM timing cover part #25522658. Are there any prep changes I should do before install. On one of the covers on a recent thread there appears to be a small hole where the cam button would ride against.

thanks.
be sure none of the internal passages are obstructed by casting flash.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Use the correct gasket. :)

·
Registered
732 Posts
earlbrown said:
Some people have never been exposed to lapping and I still stand by my dislike of thrust plates.
Why?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.