Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It started out to as i thought the tensioner was going bad, little bouncy not alot of distance in travel. So i replaced the belt for a cheap throw that it was the belt. So tensioner still moved with a tick sound, figured the baering had gone in it.

Saw tensioners were 115 bucks no big deal but wanted to make sure i wasnt going to waste time and money.

Took the serp belt off, started it for a few seconds knowing that water wasnt flowing, ticking was still there.

Not %100 posotive but sounds like its coming from the ballancer area. Intercooler fan looks doesnt look to have any chips out of it. Any suggestions?

Motor had gone a rebuild only a few thousand miles ago. Maybe 5200 miles on it.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Look and see if the blades that go thru the crank sensor are making contact with the sensor or place a screwdriver blade on the cam sensor cap and the other end to your ear (like a stethescope) to see if the cam sensor is making the noise. If it's up in front, and it doesn't do it with the belt removed, chances are that it is one of these two things.
Also, even though you have ruled out the tensioner, you don't necessarily have to buy one when they go. Sometimes you can just replace the bearing, which is available at any parts store.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Damn, Chris, you are getting good at this stuff! :usa:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Steve Wood said:
Damn, Chris, you are getting good at this stuff! :usa:
I'm parroting what you and Ed have told me. :usa:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Try putting a wrench on the top bolt of the alternator and putting a little pressure on it, and see if the noise changes or goes away. My car did the same thing, it ended up being the big aluminum bracket that holds the ps pump, alternator, etc. The bolts had worked themselves loose behind the power steering pump and the bracket was rattling it's ass off. I found this after replacing the tensioner of course. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright, ill check the bracket bolts first.

If it were to be a cam or crank sensor are they hard to replace, never done one and have never taken one out.

What would i look for if it were to be a loose lifter?

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
NJ-TurboLimited said:
alright, ill check the bracket bolts first.

If it were to be a cam or crank sensor are they hard to replace, never done one and have never taken one out.

What would i look for if it were to be a loose lifter?
Cam and Crank sensor installs are covered at Steve's website. Go here and click on tech pictures/instructions.
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/

·
Premium Member
4,825 Posts
If it's the crank sensor, you can just move it untill it clears. If it's the cam sensor you can remove it, shim it and put it back in.
There is a process to reinstall it but it's really not that bad. Instructions can be found on Steve's site and gnttype.org.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts