Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what do you guys think of the caspers thumbwheel chip? how does it work?

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is it exactaly?

·
Turbo Buick Tweaker
1,125 Posts
basically a 8 pos. you can put 8 different chip programs in it

Im looking to go with one and have my chip guy (Eric @ turbo tweak) put a lil different program in each position for different octane and boost levels wink

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so pretty much i can make one a valet moad the other my lubrant chip, another a race chip another a fuel milage chip another a 100 chip etc? :confused:

·
Registered
70 Posts
The eight position chip allows you to literarly click a button from 1 to 8 and select different positions of your chip for performance. Example 1 is valet, boost will only go to like 10lbs. 0 car will not start up to 8 and you need to have 108 octane, maximum boost, maximum performance. Excellent product and would recommend. I got one for my 87 GN. Pete

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
how do you program it?

·
Registered
70 Posts
It comes pre-programed and by selecting the different numbers on the switch 1 to 8 it gives you a higher level of performance. Pete

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here is a listing from Jays GN, he sales the 7 and 8 position chips for Grand Nationals maybe this will help explain; Pete

http://www.jaysgn.com/

Ultrachip v3.02: The original Thumbwheel chip! This chip allows you to choose from 8 differ rent chip settings on the fly. The selections include anti-theft, stock, valet, and 5 performance settings which increase boost, timing, and fuel delivery. Specify injectors and year. CALL FOR APPLICATION

Ultrachip v3.02.....$165.00

Ultrachip v4.0

Ultrachip v4.0: This is the same as above but custom programmed for heavily modified cars, race cars, etc. Custom Specification form must be completed and sent to us. Chip is then custom programmed and shipped. CALL FOR APPLICATION

Ultrachip v4.0.....$250.00

1984-87 Computer Chips
Most performance chips are programmed by making assumptions about what equipment is installed in your car. For most applications this is good enough, but if you require the ultimate chip setup for your car, for street or strip, we can program your chip based on your car's equipment (turbo, gas your run, exhaust system, head porting and over 15 other parameters). We also carry non-tailored chips that will increase the performance of any Turbo Regal. Both chips have seven different positions (from mild street to full race) to allow you to choose the performance you want. These chips are inexpensive and easy to install. These chips are a must buy for any Turbo Regal owner who wants to increase performance.

1984-87 Custom Computer Chips.....$279.00
1984-87 7 Position Non-Tailored Computer Chip..... $165.00
1984-87 8 Position Ultra Chip for 37 LB Injectors.....$165.00

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm lost right now.. what about the max effort?

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
firebird_1252:
i'm lost right now.. what about the max effort?
Boid,

They are 2 totally different types of chips. The ones talked about above are just like a regular chip except that this is 8 different levels, valet, STOCK and then performance. You can not adjust the timing or fuel delivery on these, it is just like having 8 different chips.

The Max Effort is basiclly a poor man's SpeedPro. You can tune your car with these but I know very little about them. Email Steve Wood as I believe he runs this in at least one of his cars.

Good luck,

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
paul, so is there like a stock valet, street chip etc? :confused:

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Boid,

I just went and grabbed my Poston's catalogue and this is what it says,

Switch setting 0:
Anti-theft, car will not run

Switch setting 1:
Valet Mode, boost is limited to 12#'s, top speed is 65 mph and rev limiter is 4800

Switch setting 2:
Stock, all the settings that are in the stock chip

Switch setting 3:
17.6 #'s of boost, 18* of timing

Switch setting 4:
18 #'s of boost, 20* of timing

Switch setting 5:
18 #'s of boost, 22* of timing

Switch setting 6:
18 #'s of boost, 24* of timing

Switch setting 7:
19.2 #'s of boost, 26* of timing

This isn't everything that they list in the catalogue but it covers the main points of each setting.

So if you park your car in a bad 'hood you would put it to setting "0" so the car is in antitheft mode.

For cruising on the streets you might use setting 3 or 4 depending on what fuel you can get locally but when you get to the track and you have C-16 you would probably use setting 7 for maximum performance.

Hope that helps. Just so you know I do not have one of these chips, but I have read about them and I posted the basics from my Poston's catalogue.

Good luck,

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
is 26* enough timing? and what about fuel psi?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I also have been looking into the Caspers non tailored 8 position chip. I Expected to see more boost than stated above at 19.2#, will that work well if I adjust the wastegate rod to say 22#, and add race gas? I'll be running a TE44 & 50's. Maybe I need a specific race chip?

:) :) :)

Shane

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Like I mentioned above I have never run one of these chips and I don't know how well they work, but if you want to race your car, call your favorite vendor and order a race chip from them. If you want one chip to pop in and do it all for you, anti-theft, valet mode, street chip and race chip then this might be a good purchase for you especially if you hate swapping chips.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
looks like lubrant is gonna get a phone call :)

·
Turbo Buick Tweaker
1,125 Posts
keep in mind you can buy a blank 8 position chip and have your favorite chip burner set you 8 different chips in one

street pump gas
street pump with alky
100 octane?
110 octane?
116 octane?

you get the picture ?

<small>[ June 11, 2003, 05:35 AM: Message edited by: REDS HOT AIR ]</small>

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
REDS HOT AIR:
keep in mind you can buy a blank 8 position chip and have your favorite chip burner set you 8 different chips in one

street pump gas
street pump with alky
100 octane?
110 octane?
116 octane?

you get the picture ?
hmm... wait, so i can buy it and send it to joe lubrant?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts