Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Deltona: Peace At Last...
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The pic I included is the '81-82 driver's side exhaust flange adapter for the turbos. The N/A's use a vacuum operated EFE.

The turbo '82 crossover pipe you sent me won't attach to my driver's side exhaust manifold without this adapter. The EFE valve cannot be used in place of the adapter because the turbo crossover pipe opening is too small.

I'm thinking a donut might work here but were to look? :dunno:

In your adventures Rich, have you ever bumped into one of these....or are they a very rare bird, (you have to have had one on your '82 GN/SC)? :(

Any suggestions..... :D

Attachments

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Hmm I have to go look in the garage and see if I have that piece

·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dude.....

I don't know who the ultimate rat-packer here is but I'm catching up ... :D

Let me know if you see anything. I'm trying to locate a donut with an OD of 1-7/8" to see if that'll work maybe Pat can find one. None of the sites I visited list sizes.... :dunno:

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Freddie's Regal said:
Dude.....

I don't know who the ultimate rat-packer here is but I'm catching up ... :D
I Acquired some more parts from RecklessRob when I picked up the 86 :cheers:

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
OK I have it, but it's suck to the manifold. I hit it with WD-40, lets see if I can break it free later.

·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have any heat that helps.... :crazy:
I'll keep a vigilante eye....er...eyeball.... er...ear....ahhh.... :alcohol:

·
Carb/Turbo
1,615 Posts
Have you tried the NA DS manifold with EFE, the NA crossover and the turbo PS manifold combo? I suspect the difference in crossovers has to do with the EFE vs. adapter size differances. I like the NA crossover should fit.

That adapter is one of the little golden turbo peices-parts.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Freddie's Regal said:
If you have any heat that helps.... :crazy:
I'll keep a vigilante eye....er...eyeball.... er...ear....ahhh.... :alcohol:
It's sitting out in the sun..does that count

·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
b4black said:
Have you tried the NA DS manifold with EFE, the NA crossover and the turbo PS manifold combo?
Yep....wont work with EFE in place of the adapter... :damnit:

b4black said:
...I suspect the difference in crossovers has to do with the EFE vs. adapter size differances....
Not exactly. The manual states that the turbo shares the same DS manifold as the N/A. It's even in the diagrams. It's all in the adapter. Keeps production cost low I guess..... :thinking:

b4black said:
I like the NA crossover should fit.
Not sure if I'm getting your drift there Rich.....
But here is what I have:

1981 N/A crossover and DS manifold/EFE valve: 2-1/8" ID.

1982 turbo crossover and PS manifold: 1-3/8 ID.

b4black said:
That adapter is one of the little golden turbo peices-parts.
I had a dreaded feeling you were going to say that... :thw:

Oh well..... I may be able to fabricate something I suppose...that is if Jimbo is'nt successful in removing it without dynomite...

Or there's always that impossible sized donut I keep dreaming about.... :crazy:

Pat where you iz?? :angel:

·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ttype83 said:
It's sitting out in the sun..does that count

Ahhh.......good ole nuclear fission.... :flam:

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Freddie's Regal said:
Ahhh.......good ole nuclear fission.... :flam:
And it works..well that a hammer and screwdriver.. PM me your address and it'll be in the mail tomorrow

·
Carb/Turbo
1,615 Posts
Freddie's Regal said:
But here is what I have:

1981 N/A crossover and DS manifold/EFE valve: 2-1/8" ID.

1982 turbo crossover and PS manifold: 1-3/8 ID.
Now you have to wonder why Buick went smaller on the turbo crossover compared to the NA. I'm sure it has to do with exhaust velocity. In 1981 they went with a normally open wastegate in '81 which spooled slowly. In '82, they went back to normally closed. These pipes are smaller in ID, but I think that might be better for a street car. Nobody has ever tested the two sizes back to back. Everyone assumes bigger is better.

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
Part shipped... Now what I'm I going to do with a 81 manifolds and cross over... I know store it with my other headers and cross over.. I really need to orginize my garage. I still have the parts I pick-up from Rob in the box :crazy:

·
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
b4black said:
Now you have to wonder why Buick went smaller on the turbo crossover compared to the NA. I'm sure it has to do with exhaust velocity. In 1981 they went with a normally open wastegate in '81 which spooled slowly. In '82, they went back to normally closed. These pipes are smaller in ID, but I think that might be better for a street car. Nobody has ever tested the two sizes back to back. Everyone assumes bigger is better.
I'm thinking along the same line Rich. Also, the turbo crossover is actually smaller in diameter since it's two pipes in one. The inner pipe is surrounded by some kind of material since it rattles. I'ts either lead shot or some kind of granular stuff. I wonder why? The N/A pipe is nothing like it. :thinking:

Jimbo,

Those things are still worth something. Sell em on E-bay if you get tired of storing them. Or maybe someone else will need a handout someday? :dunno:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts