Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sheesh, how the hell can this be more effecient then a stock setup? This is my my Bro's 2001 GTX and he asked me to check his air filter (82k miles later!) So I was shocked to see this setup, 2.5 in hole and a little dinky 8in k&N. what ya guys think?? Weird how the ecm is in the air box to!

Attachments

·
Turbocharged BrunoStachel
4,813 Posts
Yep, I never figured out that one out either. I think Pontiac figures they have a trade mark on the words "ram air" so they dug it up in hopes of selling some cars. Kind of like what Chrysler did with the word "hemi". You know whats really funny is a guy can get all out of whack about the new GTO not being anything like the old GTO but yet is so totally ignorant about this "ram air" issue. I'm a Pontiac nut and to me HO and ram air are sacred. You know whats even funnier? The RA on the 99-05 Grand Am. Its just a duct about 8 inches long and not even an inch wide that gets its RA from the slit between the hood and the grille. What a joke! The GTX kind of reminds me of the "cowl induction" on the 88-91 Cavalier Z/24. And what about the 82-83 Trans Am? Come to think of it the WS6 and the LS2 GTO aren't any better. There must something there to for Pontiac to claim a 10-20 HP increase.

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Why would the ECM be in the air cleaner thing? makse no sense of course a lot of the designs in the newer cars do not make much sense. :D Also looks like the intake pipe goes right over an exhaust pipe so the air will still get heated anyway.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree, BUT I am almost pos SLP designed the hood and all and GM approved of it, no?? I know the car was sent to SLP for an exhuast, ram and sus/.

·
4,813 Posts
Gnfanatic said:
I agree, BUT I am almost pos SLP designed the hood and all and GM approved of it, no?? I know the car was sent to SLP for an exhuast, ram and sus/.
Your absolutley right. That is an SLP set up. GM did use that hood on the 04 40th anniversary editions with out the RA. But I do think SLP copied GM on they way they did it.

Late model ECM/PCM's are pretty robust units. I don't think temperature has anything to do with it though. The one in my Roadmaster has no air flow around it at all. Maybe why it has those massive cooling fins cast into it. I cant think of any models built in the last 10-15 years that have the ECM mounted inside the cars. Everything is under the hood.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm a Pontiac nut and to me HO and ram air are sacred. You know whats even funnier? The RA on the 99-05 Grand Am. Its just a duct about 8 inches long and not even an inch wide that gets its RA from the slit between the hood and the grille. What a joke! The GTX kind of reminds me of the "cowl induction" on the 88-91 Cavalier Z/24. And what about the 82-83 Trans Am? Come to think of it the WS6 and the LS2 GTO aren't any better. There must something there to for Pontiac to claim a 10-20 HP increase.

then you must know that the ram air hood scoop on the original GTO was also useless. :D

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Mounting the PCM, under hood, saves alot of wire.
They do thermal map under the hood to find a relatively cool place to mount it.
Temps due matter to electronics, especially processors.

·
4,813 Posts
loki993 said:
then you must know that the ram air hood scoop on the original GTO was also useless. :D
I do now. I thought that was the purpose of the metal tray with the foam seal on top of the carb or carbs that sealed up tight against the hood?

My next Pontiac myth to debunk. Widetrack! Coming soon to a thread near you. :cheers:

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
you can wedge it in the header panel real well and wire tie it :rolleyes: dont ask how i know

·
Keep the Rubber Side Down
1,161 Posts
I would suspect the ram air placement and "duct" sizing are wind tunnel tested for effiency. If "positive" air is flowing over the hood right there, the car in motion might "force" more air onto the filter than you think....

Same with cowl induction, it is utilizing the natural turbulance created by the hood to window transition...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts