Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys get your thinking caps on (zap your hair piece) anyway, lastnight i was at the local car show. i saw a white turbo t very sharp car. went over and talked to the kid he just got it i think the week before. we talked alittle and he said that he didnt know much about trs. anyway, i threw my scantool on it and well the normal codes showed up. thats not a problem.. the problem is that the car has NO VAC. at idle. i mean nothing! i went and tryed to spool the turbo and nothing i had it on the floor and the turbo just would not spool.. now here is what i'm thinking.. the car has the vac brake conversion, and the 7th injector set up. i was talking to my friend neil and he said it might be a blown hg but the car runs really cool. what should i do guys? dunno :confused:

·
It's me, really
1,892 Posts
Well, since vacuum comes from air passing through the intake/throttle body, I'd start there. The vacuum block on top of the TB would be the first place. Check it for sealing and ensure the hoses or the vacuum block tips going to the metal lines aren't cracked/loose. Then work your way out to the various connections beyond the metal lines.

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
So the car feels like it has manual brakes if you try to stop it...I mean if you put it in gear and don't give it any throttle and try to stop? Can you hear a vacuum leak? Has the owner ever heard the turbo spool up? Does it have the stock cam? Does it idle properly? Do the AC controls work? Have you taken the intake pipe to the turbo off and checked if the turbine spins has play or if its there? Also could be a wastegate problem...not spooling and all.

Send your friend to GNTType.org to learn somethings about his car.

<small>[ April 17, 2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Nasty Wendy ]</small>

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JohnLarkin:
Well, since vacuum comes from air passing through the intake/throttle body, I'd start there. The vacuum block on top of the TB would be the first place. Check it for sealing and ensure the hoses or the vacuum block tips going to the metal lines aren't cracked/loose. Then work your way out to the various connections beyond the metal lines.
cant do that. there is no vac block.

wendy the car stops fine just wont spool

·
Defender of the Universe
10,605 Posts
something is fishy. If the car has no vacuum at idle but the vacuum assisted brakes work then I'm cornfused. If it has no vacuum at idle, if you put it in gear and allow it to move it should feel like manual brakes when you try to stop it.

And the part about not having a vacuum block is really strange. :confused:

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it has the 7th injector set up. being i never saw one before i dont know how they should be. there is 1 injector on the top where the vac block should be.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Well where's the hose to the proportioning valve in the vaccuum canister going to? If there is a leak in vaccuum, sometimes you can hear it as the engine idles and after you shut off the engine for a split second. Try to hear for the direction of it maybe

<small>[ April 17, 2003, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: Benny ]</small>

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
If the car has brakes,then the car has vacuum.That or he has a manual brake pedal setup.Where are you reading the vacuum from?Remove the vac. line from the brake booster while the car is running.You should be able to feel the suction.While the line is off,check the brakes. headbang

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i'm reading off the vac boost guage.

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
Is the guage fed by a plastic line? If so,that plastic line kinks very easily and will give you a false reading.Read vacuum off a port on the manifold close to the throttle body.As far as the car not spooling,are you trying this while the car is in park?I cant speak for anyone else, but my car wont spool in park or neutral either.There isnt enough load on the engine.At the top of each gear however,I get 18psi. :D

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes but the car does not build boost if you power brake it

·
too many toys
1,206 Posts
How high are you revving the motor? :p

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
HIGH ! LOL

·
Registered
491 Posts
Did they relocate the vacuum block with the 7th injector install, since you mention it is installed where the vacuum block should be?

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
he said they did talked to him yesterday i'm gonna try to get over there during the day to see wahts goin on with it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts