Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Mike, AGAIN, we think we finally found my fuel pressure problem. You have heard me whine about the fluctuating pressure in recent posts. Today Mike decided to put his Mity-vac on the vacuum port of the FPR and with the fuel pump running, tried to simulate boost by applying pressure from the Mity-vac. He first tried it on his and got a steady 1# increase of pressure for every 1# "boost". On mine, when we added 20# pressure from the Mity-vac, my FPR increased by 24#. So, when I ran Wed night, not only did the FP at idle jump up to 50#, but it was adding more than 1# FP per boost pressure. Still find it hard to believe that I got 2 bad FPRs.

Then proceeded to check all the hoses under hood and discovered that my Westach boost gauge is registering about 4# high at 20#. Also discovered that a fairly new PCV was bad and made us wonder how much boost I was dumping into the crankcase. Wonder how much boost I was really running when the car went 11.50 @ 120.5 with the gauge showing 21# and a bad PCV? Had to giggle when we looked at a DS file and saw I had the TPS wide open for 3.5 secs before launching and could only see 2# boost on the guage. Turns out that was probably a vacuum launch, and a 1.76 to boot

Got a lot of work to do, but at least now I know what to do and what to look forward to.

Mike, I know I am getting gushy, but thanks again.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

[This message has been edited by Scottie-GNZ (edited January 27, 2001).]

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
How's the fuel problem coming along? Did you get a 237 and crush it in a vise?

Did you get the boost gauge calibrated?

I have your bleeder valve here, rebuilt and and ready to go with a new (correct) spring.

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I pulled the gauge and sent it to Westach. They said 1 day turnaround. Have a 237 on the way. Could not find any locally. Everything else is done and just waiting for those 2 items.

This weekend is dead as I will be at Daytona all weekend for the 24-hr race. I am excited about some of the things we discovered and feel we are ready to really see this car's true potential.

BTW, remember that little red turbo Civic? He was running last night and his ET was only 11.90s but his MPH was in the 120s with a best of 121.45! Also had to scratch my head watching that Syclone run. His best ET was 13.45 but only 95mph.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Mike, it looks like I finally made it to the board. I wanted to ask you about the bleeder valve install, but you weren't there last night. I was bummed out, no 12 second pass yet, but I think I know why. We video taped my runs, and you can see the truck squatting too much on launch. I'm going to get some shocks to see if it helps. They're only 10 years old, so maybe they could be a little worn by now? I'm getting some false knock, cause it happens on shifts and I had 10 gallons of 110 to 1 gallon of 93. Even with Nitto drag radials I was only getting 1.82 sixty foots. I was getting 1.80's with the regular Nitto's in December. We played with the tire pressure and nothing seemed to improve it. I guess it likes 25 pounds. With 31 pounds of air, my transfer case started to eat up my mph due to drag. I went to 17 pounds like you suggested and it worsened to 1.88 two times in a row. Hey Scotty, my truck has a 237 regulator from the factory that I'm replacing as soon as my Dequick one comes in next week. If you don't come up with one let me know. It works properly as I took a ride with a mechanical quage strapped to the windshield last week after I installed my Walbro 340m pump. Oh well, nice to finally get on here and have something to say. BTW, that turbo Honda weighs 2208 pounds with driver! My truck weighs 3760 with me, if I could only lose 1500 pounds, I think the 11's would be easy!

------------------
Christian Dionne
Sy #1252
Orlando, FL

·
Premium Member
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Christian,

I already paid for the 237 so I hope it comes through. Anyway, I might still take yours as a spare and crush one to 46# and the other to 48# in case I start maxing out the blues at 46#.

I was puzzled about your run as I expected the MPH to be higher for 13.45 even being AWD. As for being 1000lbs lighter, now you know why I run a 240Z

You did have a lot of squat on your launches but no noticeable wheelspin. Still looks mighty quick off the line though.

Does the liquid I/C have a seperate radiator to cool the liquid or does it flow through the engine radiator? I saw the hose snaking down towards the front but could not see where it went. Seems if you come up with a way to reduce the water temp even more before it goes back in the I/C you could gain some more HP by cooling the intake charge even more.

I am fascinated by liquid/air I/Cs and the thought of having the intake charge temp in the 60s.

------------------

Scottie's GNZ

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Hey Christian,

I'll be at the meeting tomorrow at Waterford Lakes. I'll have my car there and you can see the bleeder valve setup. Are you thinking of adding a bleeder valve setup to your Sy?

I don't want to reinvent the wheel here, but do you use a scan tool?

------------------
Email Address: mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hey Mike, I was using Diacom that I borrowed from a fellow Syclone guy. I might be running a little fat, my O2's were from 960 to 1000mvs the entire run. I'm only able to hold 10 pounds of boost with the big wheel cylinders and brakes. I was thinking about the bleeder valve, but there is a chip for my truck that has 16 settings with different boost and timing. It uses a 3 bar map sensor and people have claimed a 3 tenth gain on the stock 15 psi just from the increased spool and the timing. I'm not sure at this point, 'cause I don't think my motor can take much more before a rod or piston gives up. My motor has an extra head bolt per cylinder than yours, so the headgasket wins and the rest loses. I'm not sure if I am going tomorrow night. I usually work, it's just that last time the Sy/Ty guys wanted to meet. They are going to be mad at me tomorrow for not going, but that's 6 hours of vacation time I lose to go.

Hey Scottie, the IC has it's own little radiator below the regular one,angled 45 degrees. It does not have a scoop, though I am working on getting one. A lot of Sy/Ty folks have installed electric fans behind it as well. My intake temps are pretty high. Starting about 115 at launch and climbing to 138 by the end. I have installed a new electric water pump for the IC system that flows alot more than stock, and it runs whenever the ignition is On.

------------------
Christian Dionne
Sy #1252
Orlando, FL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts