Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This pertains more to the imports and such, but it still boils down to something we all love and can appreciate.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...st979101296646

Nice writeup about modified cars from Jim Kenzie:

Furious at fast crash assumptions
No proof yet that nitrous mods were involved in 2 deaths

Making car a safer, swifter performer shouldn't be a crime
Jun. 3, 2006. 01:00 AM
JIM KENZIE

Russell Soares is semi-fast, but he's plenty furious.

The car enthusiast with a (slightly) modified car is furious that an Oak Ridges couple died last Saturday night when their Hyundai was, to quote reporter San Grewal's story in Wednesday's Star, "shredded'' by a Honda Civic that allegedly was going some 140 km/h on Yonge St. in Richmond Hill.

But Soares, who is in his 30s, is also furious that the article implied the Honda was modified and that police allege it was participating in street racing.

And he is furious that politicians like Frank Klees, MPP for Oak Ridges and a former Ontario transportation minister, are jumping on this tragedy.

They're calling for the banning of modifications such as nitrous oxide systems, which can increase the power of a car many times over.

A court-imposed publication ban on the case makes Soares wonder how anyone can automatically assume nitrous, indeed, any modification — or even street racing — was involved.

Soares notes that even a 12-year-old diesel Volkswagen can do 140 km/h — it's the idiot who chooses to drive it at that speed in an urban environment that is at fault here.

But some authorities seem all too ready to blame the car.

This attitude has led some insurance companies to cancel coverage if modifications have been done to a car that might even suggest it was ever driven on a track.

(Never mind if that ever actually happened.)

Metaphor time:

Prostitutes wear short skirts. That woman is wearing a short skirt.

Therefore, she's a prostitute.

Let me get this straight: Mercedes-Benz invents an automatic roll bar that pops up to protect you in a crash.

You can't get this technology in a Civic, so at considerable personal expense you install a roll bar in your car, thereby making it safer — and they cancel your insurance?

Also, if some 18-year-old — more likely, Mommy and Daddy — buys a Porsche 911 Turbo, that's okay?

But if said 18-year-old buys a Civic and makes it as fast as a 911 Turbo, that isn't okay?

Maybe it isn't okay.

But, either way, it isn't the fault of the machinery.

There was even a fatal crash some time ago that involved a kid street-racing a Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV.

Hello?

The worst crash involving a Wheels reporter occurred some years ago when two drunk/high young men in a stolen Dodge Caravan, with police in hot pursuit, failed to make the modest left-hand bend in Lake Shore Blvd., at Yonge.

The old van T-boned the Jaguar XK8 coupe that our man was in, waiting at a stop light.

Fortunately, the van hit the press fleet Jag around the left-front door post, where the structure is the strongest.

Had the impact occurred even a half-metre farther back, he would have been much more seriously injured.

I don't recall the Honourable Mr. Klees calling for a ban on killer Caravans.

Another example of the hypocrisy surrounding this issue occurs whenever enthusiasts organize track days so fellow car nuts can test their cars' performance to the limit, in safety.

You can almost guarantee that local cops will be stationed at every entrance and exit to the track, hassling the competitors for having blue windshield washer nozzles.

The Star story did point out one person in authority who seems to have a grip on this issue.

York Regional police Sgt. Dave Mitchell, co-founder of the task force Project ERASE (Eliminate Racing Activity on Streets Everywhere), said that high-performance cars, whether factory-built or subsequently modified, are like alcohol.

"People can buy it, but they know they can't drink more than a certain amount and then get behind the wheel of a car,'' he said.

Exactly.

The story also noted that street racing has been associated with at least 33 deaths in the GTA since 1999. Let's do the math: that's about four deaths a year.

Is street racing the biggest traffic safety problem we have?

Hardly.

Almost 3,000 people are killed every year in this country on our roads. Every one of them is a tragedy.

Because traffic deaths tend to occur to younger people — car crashes are the Number 1 killer of people under age 44 — the loss in person-years is even greater.

What a waste.

I know: before I was born, a 5-year old who would have been my sister was run over by a truck in front of our house. I never knew her, but her death still resonates in our family.

Virtually every one of these road deaths is preventable.

But we have to attack the largest problem areas first, not the mosquito bites.

Klees, and Ontario's new transportation minister, Donna Cansfield, should get on with tougher driving tests, higher standards for driver education and stronger enforcement of truly dangerous driving behaviour.

And I don't mean speed traps on open highways.

If you need some ideas about where to start, my email address is below.

Jim Kenzie ([email protected]) is Wheels' chief auto reviewer.

·
fantasy tuner/investor
4,035 Posts
The link is no good, and i can;t find any more info on the site.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
GNANIMO said:
by a Honda Civic that allegedly was going some 140 km/h on Yonge St. in Richmond Hill.
Wow, 140 Km/Hr,
that sure sounds alot faster then 85 MPH.

Just further proof that speed kills... Oddly enough thou, IA just raised their speed limit 5 MPH on some interstates. Oh, and doubled the fines for speeding in those areas. I guess fast driving is OK, so long as the gummit can make it's $$$.

·
fantasy tuner/investor
4,035 Posts
If you don't build a local track in Toronto, this is going keep happening, very sad but true. Even if they charge $50 a night and give the money to support hospitals and charities , the locals would still be against it.

I have found some more info, most of these accidents involved the cars making a left turn on to the on coming traffic I am not the supporting racers, but, usually the car who "turns toward" on coming traffic will be charged, even on a green light, it is the drivers responsibilty to make sure it is safe to proceed. But that is an oversight once the media is involved.

·
Registered
150 Posts
norbs said:
I have found some more info, most of these accidents involved the cars making a left turn on to the on coming traffic I am not the supporting racers, but, usually the car who "turns toward" on coming traffic will be charged, even on a green light, it is the drivers responsibilty to make sure it is safe to proceed. But that is an oversight once the media is involved.
You are right Norbert, but at the high speeds of the on-coming cars (140km plus) they don't or can’t judge the speed and get smacked. Lots of bikers croak this way too except they’re the high speed vehicle.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
norbs said:
If you don't build a local track in Toronto, this is going keep happening, very sad but true. Even if they charge $50 a night and give the money to support hospitals and charities , the locals would still be against it.

I agree.
It seems the fact that there's an idiot behind the wheel escapes them.
Guns kill too.
Do we lock up veryone who owns a gun?
Only when they're involved in illegal activities involving the use of the gun.
We have criminal laws covering the illegal use of a vehicle causing death.
Enforce them.
It's just more knee jerk BS from a bunch of politically correct,vote buying politicians.
Forget it Dalton,you're finished anyway. :yup:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The Radius Kid said:
Do we lock up veryone who owns a gun?
Don't worry that's on it's way.
The only way the crooks, er, politicians are going to be able to stay in power, is being sure there aren't any armed people around. Not to mention it seems common now for people to stay in their seats, right up until the plane augers in.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Cars are coming from the dealerships faster then they ever have. Its too much power too soon for young drivers. I remember when the 5.0L Mustangs were in effect in the mid 80's. They were cheap and the best bang for your buck(only 225 hp, imports come stock with more now, 4 cylinders too). There was tons of these cars in the wreckers shortly after and lots of fatalities. They need to open a track somewhere within the GTA and get these kids off the streets. Charge $10 addmission and have grudge nights on Friday thru Sunday after hours and 80% of your problem will be gone. But all the law does is through buckets of money in more police staff on the road, higher fines and a chopper in the sky monitoring street activity. Allocate the money to a more constructive outcome. Having a fast car is not a crime, but there is a right and wrong time to test it out.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Interesting point about the factory cars.
A track would definitely help.
The problem is that people don't like "hotrods" congregating.
Thye should quit p*ssing and moaning and go check out the malls with all the over-medicated twits running around in their luxury machines.

·
fantasy tuner/investor
4,035 Posts
Just to inform everyone here is the lastest news on street racing.

Street racing bill introduced at Queen's Park
Last updated Jun 7 2006 03:44 PM EDT
CBC News

A private members bill tabled Wednesday would give new and expanded power to police across the province in the fight against street racing.

Conservative MPP Frank Klees tabled the bill that if passed would allow police to immediately suspend a driver's license and impound a vehicle involved in street racing.

FROM MAY 25, 2006: Tories to criminalize street racing
"[It] is an illegal and dangerous activity, jeopardizing the lives of innocent people," Klees told the house. "In the last six years, there have been 32 deaths due to street racing in the Toronto area alone.

"Excessive speed continues to be the leading contributing factor in collisions, and illegal street racing is reaching epidemic proportions."

Klees's bill would also ban the use of nitrous oxide fuel systems and provide fines of up to $2,000 and jail terms for up to six months for convictions.

The bill was given routine, first-reading approval.

In late May, the federal Tories announced plans to criminalize street racing and increase fines and jail terms for those involved.

·
SCONE WIZARD...
704 Posts
And they still won't open any tracks. They want everyone to stay home and not leave our houses, NO fun allowed. And take all our money in taxes while they are at it. And wether Liberal or Conservative they are all a bunch of shiesters.

This area has needed a track for I don't know how long now, and there were plans that were a go for building one, then the gov't tried to tell the man doing this he had to pay to fix the on/off ramps [millions of $$$$$$$] on the 401 at Comber exit [where the track was to be - in Comber] in order to open / build his facility, because the increased traffic would wreck the roads, meanwhile they had been setting up to do the ramp repairs for some time, because the roads there... are, were, and have been f-d for some time.

Guy packed up and said "f__k you then... keep it i'll go Stateside" and bought a track in Michigan if I am not mistaken. And he's from here.

Canada and alot of Canadians need to lose this stuffy attitude many here have about "me and my wants/needs first" "I don't want noise and cars, I want quiet" "I want" "I want" me me me me..

I'm not expecting it any time soon though.. And Ontario used to be such a cool place, but I hate it more here every day. I see Calgary becoming my new home sooner then I once predicted. :crazy:

·
fantasy tuner/investor
4,035 Posts
Basically the ricers have ruined Toronto for Everyone. :rant:

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
norbs said:
Basically the ricers have ruined Toronto for Everyone. :rant:
Yes and no.
If the government agencies weren't so busy creating unelected bureaus to bust our balls,stuff like this may be a lot less of a problem.
face it,they're out to get "us" any way they can. :mad:

·
fantasy tuner/investor
4,035 Posts
Here is the latest news on the Corvette crash:
A 25-year-old Etobicoke man who spent almost a week in hospital with serious head injuries following a suspected street race has died.

Myron Kocur died Sunday of injuries suffered June 13 when his silver Corvette hit a guardrail along the northbound lanes of Highway 427 near Rathburn Rd. at about 11 p.m., police said.

The collision occurred after three Corvettes were seen travelling at extremely high speeds, police said.

"It is certainly an obvious possibility that these three speeding Corvettes could have been street racing," said OPP Sgt. Cam Woolley. "The possibility is definitely a part of the investigation."

The victim was ejected from the Corvette, which was torn to pieces. Debris was spread across six lanes.

The drivers of the other two Corvettes were arrested. Milan Paunov, 31, of Etobicoke, is charged with dangerous driving causing bodily harm, criminal negligence causing bodily harm and failing to remain.

Michael Godina, 24, also of Etobicoke, is charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle.

As a result of Kocur's death, amended charges are pending.

Police have seized the other two Corvettes, Woolley said.

Since 1999, 34 people in the GTA have died in street-racing incidents, police say.

Meanwhile, York Region police said yesterday that they have seized two vehicles involved in a collision that killed two people last month.

Robert Manchester, 46, and his wife, Lisa Manchester, 43, of Richmond Hill, were killed May 27 in a suspected street race at the intersection of Yonge St. and Stouffville Rd. On Thursday, officers executed search warrants at the homes of the men charged in the fatal crash and seized their vehicles as offence-related property under the authority of the Criminal Code.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts