Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a question about the Buick N/A 3.8 V6s, What is the most HP you can get out of these without converting it to a turbo. I know you can get at least 130 HP with a Q-jet which I already done.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Buick Runner said:
This is just a question about the Buick N/A 3.8 V6s, What is the most HP you can get out of these without converting it to a turbo. I know you can get at least 130 HP with a Q-jet which I already done.
I think 450-475 was the limit.

·
RIP Nick Picozzi
2,311 Posts
Doc1of7 said:
I think 450-475 was the limit.

Goto one of the circle dirt tracks some of them guys are still runing n/a v6s (sometimes you can get a alsom deal on a stage block there also) and they are making around 550 hp then just tie it to a 2 speed tranny very cool racing to watch. They really know how to make the n/a v6s make very good power its crazy

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
ttypewe4jim said:
Goto one of the circle dirt tracks some of them guys are still runing n/a v6s (sometimes you can get a alsom deal on a stage block there also) and they are making around 550 hp then just tie it to a 2 speed tranny very cool racing to watch. They really know how to make the n/a v6s make very good power its crazy
550?..........
Wow, that's really impressive, I was going from memory about the old Busch Motors.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
to make life easyer i'd go and get a TBI 4.3 block and go from there.

·
Unregistered Abuser
423 Posts
In the 80's there was a guy running 10's in a N/A regal.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So a N/A V6 can make a lot of HP thats good, just got to know how to do it. I have to keep the computer system in my car to keep it street legal in my state (NJ). Thanks for the info. :yup:

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
those hp # are from engines with around 14to1 comp. and no computer!! most likely stage engines! just dont want you to get your hopes up about a quadrojet/ computer street engine! :cheers:

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
tony moore said:
those hp # are from engines with around 14to1 comp. and no computer!! most likely stage engines! just dont want you to get your hopes up about a quadrojet/ computer street engine! :cheers:
Yep, time to stop dreaming :eek!: To be street legal and not breaking the bank expect to be somewhere in the mid to upper 13's :sw:

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Not going to be racing the car I know I can't get 500 HP with the computer system and being street legal. So what do you think is the best a street computer N/A V6 could ever do? Probably what it is now 130 HP it is still better than stock 110 HP. :yup:

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Buick Runner said:
Not going to be racing the car I know I can't get 500 HP with the computer system and being street legal. So what do you think is the best a street computer N/A V6 could ever do? Probably what it is now 130 HP it is still better than stock 110 HP. :yup:
Years ago, I got ~325 HP from a 355 using the LG4 CCC system. Very mild cam, and alot of tuning. Get Doug Roe's Quadrajet book, and start reading, also as many CCC carbs as you can get, all the secondary needles you can find, all the different secondary hangers you can find. Then figure on spending a year or two on figuring all the finer points about a Q-Jet, and what tuning is all about. Making the adju secondary air door, and idle circuit mods are why you'll need some practice Q-Jets to work on.

I'd say it's possible to get up to the 200 HP mark, and still meet the emission levels. But, it'll take a lot of work.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I would start with shedding some weight. If you removed 100lbs you could pick up a tenth in the 1/4 mile. Also your stock rear is 2.41 or 2.56. Look for a 3.42 posi from an SS Monte. It will be a direct swap. No need for a 8.5 GN rear since you won't have enough torque to break anything. Also installa hi-flow cat like what Radon sells. These few simple mods will show more results then anything you can do other then pulling the motor and doing cam and pistons. :sw:

·
The Tranny Guy
605 Posts
ULYCYC said:
I would start with shedding some weight. If you removed 100lbs you could pick up a tenth in the 1/4 mile. Also your stock rear is 2.41 or 2.56. Look for a 3.42 posi from an SS Monte. It will be a direct swap. No need for a 8.5 GN rear since you won't have enough torque to break anything. Also installa hi-flow cat like what Radon sells. These few simple mods will show more results then anything you can do other then pulling the motor and doing cam and pistons. :sw:
well damn if your gonna get better gear ratio's then he might as well go for broke and pick up a 3:73 posi out of monte SS.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
MonteC said:
well damn if your gonna get better gear ratio's then he might as well go for broke and pick up a 3:73 posi out of monte SS.
I agree if he had a OD trans. But he could have an 200c. and the 3.42 would save a little gas on the street. Either way it would help

·
Hydra Station Supervisor
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My car does not have a overdrive so I think it is the 200, and I do have the Doug Roe Q-jet book :D . Most of the junkyards near me suck, they only have mid 90s or newer cars, I did not know Junkyards would be pickly about how old their junked cars are. :dunno: I have found one junkyard that has 80s and older cars but they do not have many g-bodys and it is pretty far from me. I am planing to put in a high flow cat sometime soon.

·
old skool
3,738 Posts
i think 200 hp is a good goal. around 9to1 comp and good cam,exhaust and cold air kit you should be close!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts