Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is that thing a refurbished LT-1 starter, or the gear reduction 3800 supercharged starter? Just curious as to what kind of starter it is.

------------------
87 GN, Plenty of mods.. [email protected] Radial TA's , Street Trim See it and others at http://www.buickpower.com

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
It's an LT1 starter. It's a used unit, which I guarantee. If it craps out in the first 90 days, send it back, I'll replace it. I also bench test them before sending them out. This will guarantee against a DOA starter.

A bunch of our local club guys have this starter and we all love it. It's definitely a smaller and better design then the old stocker.

Thanks for the orders so far. I still have some in stock for immediate shipment.

Any other questions are welcomed.

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
12.35 & 108.39 Street Trim
11.92 @ 111.77 Race Ready
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
What makes it so much better than stock?

------------------
Keith Davis--Moneypit 86GN,Astroroof,DigDash'TTA crank,Ported polished heads & intake'TRW .30 forged pistons & PT51 Turbo,Manly SS valves,Postons headers,T.C. Orange stripe conv.THDP,SMC alky,Boost command,Scanmaster2,MSD50 inj,Nitto DR's 275/50/15,All the braces,All gauges VDO.
12.8 @ 102 is with stock setup no times for new setup yet.

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
1. It's 10lbs lighter
2. It's much smaller in diameter which means it's sits further away from the header
3. It's a new design with more cranking power (1.4 to 1.7kw I believe).

------------------

Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, Stock CAM, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver

[This message has been edited by Orlando_87GN (edited August 12, 2001).]

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
Originally posted by Orlando_87GN:
1. It's 10lbs lighter
2. It's much smaller in diameter which means it's sits further away from the header
3. It's a new design with more cranking power (1.4 to 1.7kw I believe).

Mike:

I remember you had put a girdle in your car and I think it was you had clearance problems with it. Does this starter help at all? I mean I want one anyway as the higher output means less draw which means my power inverter wont crap out every time I start the car :) Well, and it'll spin easier :)

------------------

Jim Testa
1986 Regal T-Type
Stock block, Turbomotion ported heads, PTE 210 roller cam, GNT ported intake, PTE Plenum, 70mm TB, PTE FM IC, MSD 50's, TE61, TPS-TEC, JT Chip, JT 200R4, Vigilante 2800 LU convertor, JT Boxed lower arms, working on girlde....

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I didn't have clearance problems between the girdle and stock starter. I got the Mini-Starter because of the weight savings.

If anyone DOES have clearance problems between the stock starter and girdle, I can see how the Mini-Starter would solve that, because it's A LOT smaller in diameter..

BTW - Jim, your starter shipped today, but it was after 5pm. Thanks for the order.

------------------

·
Registered
817 Posts
What is the deal with the starters?
This is the first i heard of it can ya fill me in? please.

------------------

1987 GN
pte 53,55's,Only reds chips!!!
Vince janis built trannie
t-brake
7-disc 9.5 vigilante
New shortblock
TA performance custom cam,and bearings
Ta rear girdle
steel mains, and RJC girdle..Prolly lots more just tired of typing

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Doesn't a 3800 starter mount the other way, meaning it spins the oposite direction and the shroud faces the wrong way?

I've got a 3800 starter and it seemed to be incorrect. Maybe I'm smokin' a rock, but I was going to dump my 3800 starter and look for an LT-1 starter. maybe I should just look at my Park Avenue and see what the starter looks like.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by PRSRIZD_V6:
Doesn't a 3800 starter mount the other way, meaning it spins the oposite direction and the shroud faces the wrong way?

I've got a 3800 starter and it seemed to be incorrect. Maybe I'm smokin' a rock, but I was going to dump my 3800 starter and look for an LT-1 starter. maybe I should just look at my Park Avenue and see what the starter looks like.

Now that I picture it, you're right, I just didn't think of that at the time, but the starters are inverted from each other.

------------------
87 GN, Plenty of mods.. [email protected] Radial TA's , Street Trim See it and others at http://www.buickpower.com

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
He He, that's the problem I have here, no one wants to buy a stock starter.....

Guess I'll just stash it away for a rainy day...

------------------

·
SCONE WIZARD...
704 Posts
Mike - Looks like I will be next on the list for one of these... I am waiting for both poly motor mounts to arrive, along with another paycheck
and I will send you out a money order.. I'll email you to let you know when..

------------------
Steve Ruston
1987 Turbo Limited

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
$220 not including a core here at the local parts stores....

------------------

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
I have never had to shim mine, but with any starter installation, it would be a good idea to check it and shim it if required.

------------------

Production 4.1 girdled (leaking like a stuck pig), Federal Hyper Pistons, PTE-52, Champion Heads, 210/210 Billet, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3750# with Driver
New E.T. Coming Soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts