Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 8 hours away from home the A/C in the GN went hot. The compressor was making some noise earlier on in the trip but I assumed it wasn't serious. So it was windows down at 85mph and it was 100º out. What misery! I am just glad to be home, had a good trip overall and now I'll be contacting Brett at SavannahAutoAir for another compressor. I am sure it's the compressor too, as the magnetic clutch turned completely white for some reason. How did people manage without A/C again? :dunno:

So when a compressor goes out does it contaminate the whole system? Is there a way to flush it?

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
If the compressor itself isn't locked up you can just put a new clutch on it. I'd guess that is all that's wrong with it. The electrical part of the clutch is a separate portion of the compressor, so if that's all that is wrong, the rest of the system is clean. Looks easy to get to also! :cool:

·
Registered
373 Posts
It's white cause it got red hot. Mine did that cause the compressor was siezed. Thought the car was gonna catch fire. The system has pressure still so it's being turned on but the compressor won't turn so the clutch just fries.........

·
Boost Addict?
2,080 Posts
Yep. If it is the compressor plan on replacing the accumulator ( best thing IMHO) and having the rest of the system flushed well. :yup:

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
mike are you converted to 134a?

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it's been 134a for years. I recently installed a brand new condensor but don't think that has anything to do with the meltdown as the compressor is original with 136k miles on it.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
do a compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube- that should be all you need to replace. if the compressor self destructed the orifice tube shoulda caught alot of the junk. they acually have a filter kit you can cut and place in befor the suction side of the compressor when a compressor goes. its just designed to catch anything left in the sytem so it doesnt go through the new compressor- havent seen one in a while though- it used to be a GM part #

·
Dont visit foreign SITES
3,092 Posts
I had one sieze back on my GN back in 92 while driving from NY to MN it was raining and i had to use the defroster.
Locked up 100 miles short of my destination and a $hit load of smoke pouring out as the belt ran over the seized pump.
Cost me $225 tow. $462 compressor/freon/labor $52 UPS next day air a belt in.
And that wasnt too bad considering... I guess it would have been good to have AAA :dunno:

·
General Useless POS
1,801 Posts
87GTA-turbo said:
I had one sieze back on my GN back in 92 while driving from NY to MN it was raining and i had to use the defroster.
Locked up 100 miles short of my destination and a $hit load of smoke pouring out as the belt ran over the seized pump.
Cost me $225 tow. $462 compressor/freon/labor $52 UPS next day air a belt in.
And that wasnt too bad considering... I guess it would have been good to have AAA :dunno:
Ya coulda simply disconnected the low pressure switch and drove home.

Defroster wouldnt have dehumidified, but it'd have worked a little better than a rag

1 - 9 of 9 Posts