Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to test my WG Solenoid. It seems I have the rod screwed in quite a bit but the boost is staying low at maybe 12, 13psi. If I disconnect the hose from the solenoid and the boost jumps up, does that mean the solenoid is on the frtiz ?

Its weird but I got a new turbo put on, and have had the boost up but it would always fall back down afterwards. :dunno:

Ive heard of guys putting on a needle valve on that hose, but i've never tried it.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
sounds like you might have the Y plumbed backwards...or the solenoid is bad. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there a diagram I can follow somewhere, for the plumbing. It wouldnt surprise if its backwards. The solenoid never acted up before the turbo swap.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
One on gnttype, but, in essence...

The straight leg of the Y should have a restrictor in the end with about a .045" hole. This end of this leg should be connected to the turbo compressor housing port. The opposite end goes to the solenoid. Of course, the other leg of the Y goes to the actuator.

If reversed, it will only give about 12# of boost.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just swap one side or other and see what happens only 2 hoses. :yup:

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
onefastcar said:
Just swap one side or other and see what happens only 2 hoses. :yup:
and if that does not work...it is something else...then you get to take the hoses off again and make sure you have it on the correct way before you start looking elsewhere.

Do it right the first time. Less frustrating than doing it twice. :dunno:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So the lines were always on right. What I did was disconnect the solenoid and boost was able to go right up. Does that indicate a bad solenoid ? If so does anybody have one laying around ?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
so you actually looked at the Y and made sure it was correct?

If so, it would appear that the solenoid would be bad.

You have tried with the wastegate rod shortened up a 1/4" or so?

Does the turbo spool quickly, but, only goes to 12-13#?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It spools great up to 12, 13 or so. The lines are connected correctly for sure, straight end to the housing, angled line to the wastegate.

The spool was a little sluggish with the boost solenoid disconnected, but coulda just been me cause i was careful not to overboost.

The rod is shortened quite a bit for sure.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
sounds like it is either find a solenoid, or go to one of the grainger style.

For the moment, you can just disconnect the Y and run a hose straight from the housing to the actuator and shorten the rod to control the boost. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I didn't know you could do that. Well that's good to know, since I was supposed to show off at work on friday, wouldnt want to call it off and be called a wuss. :D

You dont suspect any spooling issues doing that way do you ? With the housing connected to the rod ?

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
called tuner style by many...It may be a hair slower on the spool than a grainger style since boost is going to the actuator without being blocked, but, I never really noticed it being slower than factory style.

Remember when you show off is what usually leads to a rod thru the block, or such...then you get a lot more attention, but, it is not much fun :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya I know where you are coming from about the rod. I do have the alky and I do have the LM-1 ready to install. I wont be blowing a rod at 20psi, ive already tested at that. It doesnt get grumpy at all actually, that is low for the car. What I mean by showing off are a couple 20 lb blasts and thats about it.

Thanks for the tips, really appreciate it. :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts