Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a Terry Houston downpipe sitting in my closet for 5 months. Now I suddenly have the itch to get the car done. I called Torque tech and ordered the exhaust I wanted. When I ordered the downpipe I did not get the catalytic converter. (Dummy) I called a Buick vendor to order a cat and they said they are having a lot of trouble getting downpipes and cats. :dunno: They said to check back in a month. :crazy: :crazy: WOW! They told me they had 30 orders on back order for their stuff? Torque tech offered me a good solution for a cat. I was just wondering, is it true that that people are having problems getting cats from Terry Houston or was this just one vendors issues. Should I wait for a Terry Houston Cat or just get one from another vendor that will work? They offered me a cat for a 455 Buick that will flow gangbusters they said. Love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Ps, I did order the 3" system with the ultra flows as per everyone here.

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
I know nothing about the Cat's but if the 455 works why not? Keith from Torque Tech is a good guy. From what I can tell, most vendors have a waiting list, although some get them faster than others. You can try a few & see who's got/getting them first? Post your findings if someone has them in stock. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Gnx6 said:
I have had a Terry Houston downpipe sitting in my closet for 5 months. Now I suddenly have the itch to get the car done. I called Torque tech and ordered the exhaust I wanted. When I ordered the downpipe I did not get the catalytic converter. (Dummy) I called a Buick vendor to order a cat and they said they are having a lot of trouble getting downpipes and cats. :dunno: They said to check back in a month. :crazy: :crazy: WOW! They told me they had 30 orders on back order for their stuff? Torque tech offered me a good solution for a cat. I was just wondering, is it true that that people are having problems getting cats from Terry Houston or was this just one vendors issues. Should I wait for a Terry Houston Cat or just get one from another vendor that will work? They offered me a cat for a 455 Buick that will flow gangbusters they said. Love to hear your thoughts. Thanks. Ps, I did order the 3" system with the ultra flows as per everyone here.
------------------------------------
Virtually the same shorty cat (13" or so) that came with the THDP a while back is available from Red Armstrong for about $ 60 or so. I just received one about 2 months back from Red. Red does biz via telephone only does no biz by computer. Red can be reached at Quadair (440) 235-3232. He is in Ohio. Brian at GBodyParts might have something along those lines also. I have an original TH cat that I received with a THDP about a year or so ago, and I also have run the one that I received from Red Armstrong, and I really can't say that they are any different. Dimensionally, they are virtually identical. HTH

·
Registered
732 Posts
Gnx6 said:
I have had a Terry Houston downpipe sitting in my closet for 5 months. Now I suddenly have the itch to get the car done. I called Torque tech and ordered the exhaust I wanted. When I ordered the downpipe I did not get the catalytic converter. (Dummy) I called a Buick vendor to order a cat and they said they are having a lot of trouble getting downpipes and cats. :dunno: They said to check back in a month. :crazy: :crazy: WOW! They told me they had 30 orders on back order for their stuff? Torque tech offered me a good solution for a cat. I was just wondering, is it true that that people are having problems getting cats from Terry Houston or was this just one vendors issues. Should I wait for a Terry Houston Cat or just get one from another vendor that will work? They offered me a cat for a 455 Buick that will flow gangbusters they said. Love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Ps, I did order the 3" system with the ultra flows as per everyone here.
You could install/run your new exhaust and let us know what you think. I have been around them and everybody likes TT.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of the big dogs here love's Torque Tech as well. My car has all the right stuff on it but the exhaust is stock, downpipe and all. I am very eager to get it done and see how it performs.

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
A cat is a cat is a cat. Any capable muffler shop can fab up a universal converter for your downpipe. Any catalytic converter will work on our cars, including OBDII and OBDI. You can put OBDII and newer cats on our cars, but you can't put our older OBDI cats on newer cars. At our shop I could get Catco converters for less than $40 at my cost. You should expect to pay between $65 and $100 at a shop. :)

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
The cat doesnt matter .. Buy the cheapest sob, pass emissions and yack that sucker off.. either test tube it or test tube and exhaust cutout.. electric maybe??muffler shop can make you up one or nose around for one..

·
Keep the Rubber Side Down
1,161 Posts
RealestVIN7 said:
A cat is a cat is a cat. Any capable muffler shop can fab up a universal converter for your downpipe. Any catalytic converter will work on our cars, including OBDII and OBDI. You can put OBDII and newer cats on our cars, but you can't put our older OBDI cats on newer cars. At our shop I could get Catco converters for less than $40 at my cost. You should expect to pay between $65 and $100 at a shop. :)

Really?! Why do OEM Cats cost literally HUNDREDS of dollars?.... I believe you, just curious... Isn't the actual "catalyst" platinum, therefor making them expensive regardless?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If you actually tear into a cat, you will see that the "guts" are mostly a ceramic support, with a VERY thin overlay of the catalyst. So thin you can't see it? Used to be all platinum, now is platinum and palladium, maybe some other stuff. So, even though platinum is very expensive, the fact that the cat doesn't use very much keeps the price down. Newer, "high flow" cats have much thinner ceramic support than the older cats, for less restriction. I've only been into a few, so I can't say whether there are differences in the overall construction that might justify big price differencs.

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
larobj63 said:
Really?! Why do OEM Cats cost literally HUNDREDS of dollars?.... I believe you, just curious... Isn't the actual "catalyst" platinum, therefor making them expensive regardless?
OEM are more because they are direct fitment replacement OEM parts. Of course they're going to be more. For your general universal cat though, it just a simple, straight-thru, clamp-on or weld-in attachment. There are no special shapes, flanges, or other provisions. BTW, you should see how cheap I get those "OEM" replacements for. Muffler shops have to make money to survive too.

Also, yes cats have platinum in them, but not enough to really get excited over. Older cats did have more than newer cats, but it still wasn't all that much. You have to chemically separate all of the platinum from the other substances in a catalytic converter. That's why we have guys that come around and buy our used converters. They take them to a facility where the precious metals are removed and recycled. The steel shell is also recycled. Newer more efficient cats are being made with thinner layers and now some are made with stainless cores.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some cats can be dual stage, the 2nd stage will be Rhodium I think is the spelling. I got a good high flow cat from torque tech. I don't want to run without it here in Cali. There is probably some law that they can impound the car if they see it is not there. I know the car will be faster but not worth the headaches. :crazy:

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
Cats don't make that much difference on a street car. I just left mine on. It's a little quieter with it on.

·
Legend in my own Mind
981 Posts
Where do you work

RealestVIN7 said:
I'm assuming in Denton. Does Jason from Camelot come by? Ask him about the ThunderBolt stainless steel substrate converter he sells(available in 2 1/2" and 3") . Very high flow. good for 6k lbs and 5.9L OBD II. I sell them to the 2fast2furious crowd and they love them.

As for why OEM has more precious metals, they have to meet
EPA warranty regs for i beleive 8 year or 80k miles. Replacements aren't warrantied that long.

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
The muffler shop I worked for is in Ennis. We get alot of stuff from Camelot sales. It's been a while since I was there when we got a shipment. Is he short with long hair and a beard?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts