Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had new motor mounts installed, which I thought might solve the problem... they didn't :( Don't think it's just a tire out of balance, it is much worse than just the steering wheel shaking in my hand. Where else should I start looking? Driveshaft?

·
Gotta love the autobahn!
2,726 Posts
Can you give any other description of this vibration? Is it in the seat or steering wheel? Change with engine RPM or speed? A particular speed? Any noises?

If you have a u-joint making that much vibration, you'll want that fixed soon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No noises, seems to be more noticeable at highway speeds (55-70MPH) which made me think it was a tire out of balance. But you can also feel it in the seat and see it shaking the hood, sunvisors, door panels :crazy:

If it is a bad u-joint it might just be time to upgrade the driveshaft as well.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
My car kinda does that as well, then around 70 it smooths out. Are your wheels static balanced (weights only on the inside)? Mine are and thats what I figured it was.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I just went through this a couple of months ago after I replaced the original mounts and it turned out the be the dumbest thing - the trans dipstick was contacting the body up by the firewall. Worth a shot to check it out.

Mine was vibrating horribly throughout the whole car and was driving me nuts. If is that bad and you can feel it throught the floor, dash, etc its probably something contacting the floor somewhere. If it doesnt happen at idle while reving the engine then I guess ou can rule this out. Good luck.

·
'86 GN
1,435 Posts
Nail it to a specific mile an hour. Throw it in neutral and see if it goes away. If it is still there, like Doc said probably wheel/tire. If it goes a way, probably driveshaft/drive train.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gonna have the front wheels double-checked for balance at a shop close to work tomorrow. If that doesn't help I'm gonna have to start doing some serious troubleshooting. Thanks for all the tips so far.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Like already said...isolate it, take it to speed and see if Neutral makes a difference first. It could be a balance issue or even a broken belt in the radial tire. How is the front end...is it all original?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I shifted into neutral at speed, and it really didn't feel any different.
Took it to a local tire shop and had both front wheels checked and balanced.
There was a little play in both wheels, and since I replaced the front brakes shortly after I bought the car, I tightened up the nuts and and repacked the bearings today.
We also noticed that at full lock, the inside of the right inner wheel is contacting the upper control arm. This is with 16x8 GNX rims. Anyone ever run into this issue? I figured some thin spacers all around would probably take care of it.

·
Older than dirt
2,718 Posts
Loose converter, cracked flywheel, harmonic balancer loose, dp hitting the upper a arm, trans mount rotted, rear suspension bushings gone, trans rear bushing fried, belt tensioner brg fried, and as mentioned bad u-joint.
Jack it up, pull the converter back and see what happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts