Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody see any need additions to recording information while at the track? I didn't put down what I had for lunch but I think I will remember that the most anyway...

Here's what I gots so far;

Temperature: Lane: Weather:

1/4mile ET: 60ft.: 1/8mile ET:

Chip: Posit: Timing: Boost:

Tires: Pressure: Launch PSI:

KR MPH O2's MPH Gas:

Alky On PSI: Fuel Pr.: EGT:

Air bag PSI:

NOTES:

Combo: yadda yadda yadda, historical info.

[This message has been edited by salvageV6 (edited May 19, 2002).]

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Just remember to get ketchep for your french fries
Set all your air pressures cold before you leave the house. Then you can -+ a lb to adjust your launch. Write the info on the back of you time slip. I usually jot down launch boost,trap rpm's and boost,fuel pressure,what chip and circle my lane. I tune for no knock so no need to write down knock numbers

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Ed I have about 28 psi. in the Nittos for street driving set cold.

Shouldn't I set them lower at the track for racing? I will prolly bring an air tank if none is available there. I have a VDO gauge I can use to set them up at the track and for driving home or to the nearest station.

Darn racing stuff is getting technical

KR and MPH were from scanmaster, free readings since it logs. I will also get data from direct scan and will use the TPS trigger I think for that.

No KR ain't easy. Is what you see on the scanmaster timing pulled or just counts? I know direct scan gives you degrees pulled not sure what the ALDL gives ya!

TIA

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Don't eat the track hot dogs unless you take something in the order of Maalox with you. Just go have a good time and pray no one in a black Volkswagon makes you look bad!

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm just hoping Mikey shows up in his LSWhat?

VW's are cute though.

Should be lots of cars there of all makes and models. Hoping the purple supercharged GTO is there. That car sounds sweet.

Want to see Mark H's car run too although it's kinda too clean to run at the track.

Bought a big toolbox for the trunk got it filled up with all kinds of spare parts, fluids, tools.

Lunch will have to go in another cooler.

I need a tow vehicle, trailer, and a R.V.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Originally posted by salvageV6:
I need a tow vehicle, trailer, and a R.V.
Uh, Oh...I think a real racer has been born! I would work on developing a posse. Maybe Mike Tyson can give you some pointers...problem the sisters as well if you ask him nicely. But a good Italiano like you should dignify it by calling it your entourage. Only three steps or so from being on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. Dress Zap up and have him hold your helmet while you are giving interviews.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm, reverse, gotta add that one to my check list.

No burnouts for me, gonna do the complete street setup launch at around 0 psi.

Just gotta find out the right Nitto pressures for decent traction and the ride home if there's no air around.

They have air at the track? One would think so with air bags, tires and all.....

Got my race music ready too.

·
Owner-TR Custom Parts
1,059 Posts
There's an air hose at the track! Damn, this is the first time at the track? Don't get caught up in all the details, main thing is to have fun! Come on, ya gotta do a burnout, you're drag racing dude! Definetly pack a lunch and bring something to drink as I am sure there won't be any food available and there aren't any fast food places nearby. There's a Sunoco station right off the highway where you can get some 94 Octane, not sure if you are going to run race gas or not. I am just going to try and get a good baseline on my GN again. Last time I was at LVD I actually was running slower than before. Hope this is not the case this time.

------------------
1987 GN, 20,000 miles, best et to date - 12.67 with stock turbo, injectors and intercooler.
www.buickgn.com Turbo Regal Custom Parts

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was at Connecticut Dragway in 1973.

Didn't remember if they had an air hose.

Okay I'll lighten up after my next post about staging and trees.

I am a very technical person, I only relax when things go right.

I am very rarely relaxed LOL!

Gonna have a good cooler with ice, drinks, lunch, and a cold one for the bs'ing after racing.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Don't worry about tire pressure. Leave them at your normal street pressure. If you launch over 1Lb of boost you will light them up with any tire pressure. Don't forget to drive around the water burnout box. Street style drag tires don't like water.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, [email protected] boost.10's soon
67RS/SS350 CAMARO

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool real racing info.

How about staging and launch technique Ed?

TIA

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I run my Nittos on the street at 24#. That should work well enuf on the track.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks I will try that psi. first.

Gonna go with 5 psi. dr. air bag and 15 or so in the pass.

Gotta work on the burnout thing. I hate losing traction even on purpose. Plus all my tires cost $$$$.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Have your seat belt on, Helmet on and windows closed. That get the tech crew mad if they have to remind you. Drive around the water and wait for his signal to heat up your tires. You can't do John Force burnouts half way up the track. You spin your tires in place for 5-10 seconds then drive up slow the the staging lights. You will see one yellow light come on the move a little more then the second yellow light will appear. Now power brake to zero boost and wait for the tree to start down. leave on the yellow light. Not sure on that track but at the end when you return make sure you don't cross in the path of the other racer.

------------------
ED BAKER
67RS/SS350 CAMARO

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gotcha, no more questions.

I always wear my seatbelt and new helmet too.

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
You can take your helmet off when you eat the hot dogs and fries unless you race in West Virginia

------------------
ED BAKER
67RS/SS350 CAMARO

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm bringing my lunch. Might pack the grille too.

Many pounds of ice for cooling too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts