Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mark Z
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am relatively new to the GN game and looking for some advice on turbo selection. I wanted to see if anyone out there is running a stock convertor with either a TE/TA-60 turbo? I am in the market to buy and wanted to know if it was an absolute must to purchase a higher stall.

Also, I was curious if anyone was running the Precision Turbo front mount with the Kirban braces (In front of the radiator) and if they had any problems with the install?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Some have gotten by with the stock converter. Ideally, something in the 3000 rpm range is probably better. What you will probably find is that it is a bit sluggish from a stop for a split second and then it will go.

From a roll, it should work well. Some of the modern chips with launch control should minimize the hesitation somewhat from a stand still.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Most times I've see a 2800 recommended. I run stock stall with my te-60. If I just leave from idle it is a little laggy but leaving against the brake it is fine. It really starts boosting hard at about 23-2500. With the foot brake I can build about 4#'s before it overpowers the shoes at around 2300. I torque brake until about 2100 and leave at about 2-3#'s. Works great on the street. Any harder and it easily blows my street tires off. If I had sticky tires I might could use the extra rpm at launch but the way it leaves I think any harder hit and it wouldn't hook at all. With larger wheel cylinders I'm sure I could build more boost at the line but then I'm back to blowing the tires off.

I really wonder how much performance I would gain with the higher stall and if I could really use it on the street. This is my daily driver so I also looked at the fact that most of my cruising is below 2800 rpm but with a lock-up mileage probably wouldn't suffer much. I am still considering a higher stall and bigger wheel cylinders to help on the rare occasions that I do go to the track. But for now, save my money and, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Of course that last statement is subject to change if I win the lottery an can afford to build a 9 second street ride. :D

·
Mark Z
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I am hoping to upgrade soon and want to make sure I get the right combo together. Thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts