Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
So easy cavemen can do it
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted on the other board and didn't get too much help...here's the problem...

One day my torque converter stopped locking up at 55 mph. Well at first I thought it was the TCC solenoid in the trans. So I replaced that...still got not lockup. Today I got around to replacing the brake/tcc switch behind the brake pedal...STILL no lockup...tested to see if there was a wiring issue...none found...everything is getting power...i have tried different chips, etc. and still no lockup...also tried installing a toggle switch into the top left terminal of the ALDL connector and flipped the switch on and nothing...turbolink doesn't show TCC lockup when i flip the switch but it DOES show it locking up at 55 mph...but i just don't FEEL it locking up...i cruise at around 1800-2000 rpms at 55 mph...i remember back when i could actually feel the car lockup, like it was a 5th gear and seeing a drop in 200 rpms or so...i don't get that anymore...is it possible that it is locking up and i just can't feel it anymore or is there something wrong in the transmission and should i take it to a trans shop...

i tried the brake test while cruising at 55 to see if the rpms climb up...nothing happens...my dodge intrepid does it though so i know how to do it...well any suggestions? am i SOL?

------------------
1987 Buick Grand National 85k miles
See my car on GNregistry.org

lookin for mid 11's this spring on factory motor internals

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
Sometimes you have to put your ear on the pan, but yes, you can hear it click inside when activated. Two person job, but will tell you if it's engaging or not.

Also could be a very worn out converter...

------------------

'87 GN - Stock Block, Stock Cam, Stock Turbo, Stock Heads, V4, MSD50's, TH DP, JayJackson 62mm TB, 16position MaxEffort Chip. 3680# with Driver
11.92 @ 111.77mph

'87 Mazda RX-7 w/GN Powerplant
11.15 @ 120 MPH
Visit : http://www.MisRed.com

mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>

·
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok guys...i put my meter on volts and tested the purple wire at the connector down at the transmission...key on...got NO readings on the purple wire but the rest checked out ok...so the solenoid hasn't been getting voltage all this time...

soo i tested the brake switch...well i found out that i have two switchs up there...one at the very top that is clearish looking and has a vacuum line going to it and one connector that is clearish...has two pink-black wires and one purple wire...HOW can this be the tcc switch if it has a vacuum line going to it??? the other switch below that i just replaced...it has one black connector and one blue connector with the blue connector having a grey and a brown wire...WHICH I THOUGHT WAS THE TCC...

so um i am confused...i tested the purple and pink wires and got voltage on the pink connector side and got NO voltage on the purple side...so what is going on here...i also checked the ECM/sol fuse and it's not blown...thank god at least my converter isn't bad like i thought...it's the wiring and i can't figure it out...

·
Retired
1,966 Posts
d0n_3d:
ok guys...i put my meter on volts and tested the purple wire at the connector down at the transmission...key on...got NO readings on the purple wire but the rest checked out ok...so the solenoid hasn't been getting voltage all this time...

soo i tested the brake switch...well i found out that i have two switchs up there...one at the very top that is clearish looking and has a vacuum line going to it and one connector that is clearish...has two pink-black wires and one purple wire...HOW can this be the tcc switch if it has a vacuum line going to it??? the other switch below that i just replaced...it has one black connector and one blue connector with the blue connector having a grey and a brown wire...WHICH I THOUGHT WAS THE TCC...

so um i am confused...i tested the purple and pink wires and got voltage on the pink connector side and got NO voltage on the purple side...so what is going on here...i also checked the ECM/sol fuse and it's not blown...thank god at least my converter isn't bad like i thought...it's the wiring and i can't figure it out...
Is the switch properly adjusted? Sometimes they slip out of adjustment. It needs to be up against the part of the pedal that makes/breaks the connections when the pedal is at rest. Pressing the pedal just a tiny bit is all it takes to break the connection.

·
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
first of all which one is the tcc and what does the other thing do? why do i have the purple and pink wires going to my cruise control switch on top!?

both switches were adjusted properly...brake pedal was pressing the buttons in firmly when released...

·
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/d0n_3d/vwp?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&.dnm=File0008.jpg&.src=bc&.view=l&.done=http%3a//briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/d0n_3d/lst%3f%26.dir=/Yahoo!%2bPhoto% 2bAlbum%26.src=bc%26.view=1

here is a pic of my two switches i pulled out...the one on the right was on top of the other switch...the one on the right also had the pink and purple wires going to it with a clear connector PLUS a vacuum line which doesn't make sense because i thought that was cruise control? so what is going on here....

the one on the left has a black connector and a blue connector with a grey and brown wire going to it...

<small>[ March 16, 2003, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: d0n_3d ]</small>

·
Registered
13 Posts
d0n_3d

if you are getting voltage at the pink/black wires and none at the purple what you need to do is take the wiring connector off and then check the resistance of the terminals on the switch. With the plunger being pressed all the way in the resistance between the terminals should bevery close to 0 OHMS. This shows the switch is actually in a closed position. If the resistance is high the the switch is probably bad. Be sure the plunger is pressed all the way in when making this check. The TCC is the upper switch. The lower switch is for the brake lights and cruise control. I haven't ever taken the top switch off, but the bottom one for the brake lights and cruise I have and was able to pop off the cover and repair the contacts on it. My cruise was not working. The blue connector with brown and gray wire is for the transferring of a Ground signal that is felt at the cruise module.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts