Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, for reasons I will not discuss, I was driving around the block with my converter inspection cover off. On start offs, I noticed a very slight tapping sound that keeps time with the rpms and either trails off or can't be heard when the car gets going. My engine is so quiet now that the sound may have always been there but I never noticed it or maybe I hear it because the inspection cover is off. It does not appear to be coming from the engine, but rather about mid-car. I also notice a kind of very soft rumbling sound in the same place (mid car) when the car is idling. Otherwise, the car runs better than ever before. It is so quiet, the fan at low speed drowns out the engine completely. No more ticking sound from the engine! :headbang:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ed, which is worse: tapping or ticking? :)

·
Not a Democrat any more..
15,681 Posts
what converter do you have my precision has 7 clutches and it ticks/clicks and is definetly louder when inspection cover is off...oh and I dont think you will ever need to get a hearing aid :D

·
Resident Slut
5,477 Posts
chrisgarrett46 said:
Yesterday, for reasons I will not discuss, I was driving around the block with my converter inspection cover off.
I removed my inspection cover on the 83 5 years ago and haven't put it back on yet..Hmm I wonder were it is :dunno:
Glad to hear that it's not sounding like a sewing machine anymore..I think convertor noise too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Cracked flywheel :dunno:
Maybe why your mini starter making noise when cranking:dunno:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was the old starter that cracked, but I'll double check the flexplate. Something made the starter crack and I don't know what. Whatever happened, may have damaged flexplate too. :mad:

·
Registered
22,915 Posts
chrisgarrett46 said:
Something made the starter crack and I don't know what. Whatever happened, may have damaged flexplate too. :mad:

Maybe some ice cream seller attached it with one bolt (cause it's heavy) until they could get the other bolts started and the weight of the starter caused the crack. :confused:

But, maybe not. :sw:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zap said:
Maybe some ice cream seller attached it with one bolt (cause it's heavy) until they could get the other bolts started and the weight of the starter caused the crack. :confused:

But, maybe not. :sw:
That's a very unkind thing to say. No ice cream for you. :mad:

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts
An exhuast leak at the downpipe/exhaust system connection would cause a ticking sound under the passenger floor board area.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Orlando_87GN said:
An exhuast leak at the downpipe/exhaust system connection would cause a ticking sound under the passenger floor board area.
Mike, At the risk of sounding silly, it's not a ticking it's a tapping. I'm not trying to be silly, but I'm trying to give more of a sense of what it sounds like. It sounds like a very subtle tapping. I don't know if it was doing it with the new starter. Maybe it was the cracked starter. I will check and I will also check the exhaust connection. Thanks

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
aaaaaaaaaaaaaah, a subtle tapping...you took us off in the wrong direction, for sure.

Someone is gonna come rapping at your door and it won't some fat black bird! :sw:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm having a very bad day. Last night I rented a motorized drain snake to rout out my stopped up drains. About 15 feet in it got wedged so tight nothing would move it. I spent over 10 hours trying to get it out. In sheer desperation, I ended up using a come-a-long. Guess what happened. The cable snapped inside the pipe. My house is built on a slab and I figure the break is inside the house. I'm waiting for the plumber, expecting the worst. All of the drains in the house are affected. I'm pretty sure the cable must have got tangled into a ball and wedged itself. It was springy, but would not come out. This is going to cost me big money. I'm really pissed.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yes, I can see that you aer having a bad day. I suspect this is going to cost enuf to make it a bad month or two. :(

·
Registered
429 Posts
Steve Wood said:
yes, I can see that you aer having a bad day. I suspect this is going to cost enuf to make it a bad month or two. :(

Oh yeah, it's gonna hurt REAL BAD.

I sure hope he can at least tell the plumber about how far in the snake was when it got stuck. There's gonna be some concrete sawing, some jackhammering, new carpet/tile/wood or whatever is over the slab...sucks to be you man. :(

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Low Budget said:
Oh yeah, it's gonna hurt REAL BAD.

I sure hope he can at least tell the plumber about how far in the snake was when it got stuck. There's gonna be some concrete sawing, some jackhammering, new carpet/tile/wood or whatever is over the slab...sucks to be you man. :(
Thanks for your encouraging words. :mad:

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ULYCYC said:
I'm sure Eddie the dog is glad your not thinking about saving money on Vet bills. :eek!: :eek!:
I was thinking about tying a rope around Eddie and sending him into the pipe witht some bolt cutters.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
chrisgarrett46 said:
I'm having a very bad day. Last night I rented a motorized drain snake to rout out my stopped up drains. About 15 feet in it got wedged so tight nothing would move it. I spent over 10 hours trying to get it out. In sheer desperation, I ended up using a come-a-long. Guess what happened. The cable snapped inside the pipe. My house is built on a slab and I figure the break is inside the house. I'm waiting for the plumber, expecting the worst. All of the drains in the house are affected. I'm pretty sure the cable must have got tangled into a ball and wedged itself. It was springy, but would not come out. This is going to cost me big money. I'm really pissed.
There are times it pays to have a pro do the job for you. This would have been one of those times. Sorry about the misfortune if in need of an unbiased opinion on the plumbers recomendations let me know, be glad to help if I can. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Boy did I luck out. The plumbers are here just finishing up. They ran 90' of rod thru the drain and broke it free. Lots of tree roots came back. I used an old toilet location to rod and apparently the broken off piece is in there not doing any damage (I hope). All my drains are functioning like never before. I don't know what their going to charge, but it will be a drop in the bucket compared to what it could have been. I do carpentry, drywall and electrical, but I hate anything to do with plumbing. Next time, I won't even think about doing it myself. Whew, lucked out. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts