Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I did this once about 10 years ago but I can't get the [email protected]#$% off. And I told somebody on here it's not that bad to take off and put back on at inspection. (Damn what I short memory I have) So If you know how to remove the thing, tips and all, let's hear it, or in this case, read it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Last one I took off would not come and I ended up pulling the cat and the downpipe off. That is fun with the average floor jack that needs to go up about 4 inches more.

That was the reason I mentioned dropping the downpipe for the test....bit noisy under the hood...but....

Besides the rust, the crimp from the cat is dug into the downpipe..it may swivel but it may not come off. I used a torch and finally got it off with out destroying anything.

I have seen people take a cutting wheel and carefully cut the converter in a couple of places from the end to across the crimp. then pull it off.

Use a band clamp instead of a U clamp when you put one back on and it will not crimp the pipes together.

Or, better yet, flange the end of the dp and the converter and then you can drop it straight off and on...that is the way I did my T.

[This message has been edited by Steve Wood (edited July 28, 2001).]

·
Registered
75 Posts
I took mine off a few months ago and here is what I did....

-took off the u clamp
-heated the converter to dp section with a blowtorch
-placed my foot against the dp and wiggled cat side to side.
-rotated cat 90 degress and wiggled side to side again.
-kept turning cat and wiggling.
-slowly pulled it off the dp.

took about 20 minutes but it came off fine.

I did not clamp the test pipe to the dp. It was a snug enough fit and with the test pipe attached to the exhaust clamp it isn't going anywhere.

------------------
87 Grand National - 23k,T-tops, Red Armstrong xp pump, 93 chip/Thrasher 92 (not sure which one I like better), and volt booster. VC breathers, stealth engine anchor, trans cooler, Fast Freddie knock detector, VDO boost/vac gauge. Stock motor and exhaust except for a test pipe. K&N filter in stock box with bottom half removed. Car weighed in at 3490 without me in the seat.

89 Daytona ES Turbo - daily driver (not too slow)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts