Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some people remove the fan on the engine and some leave it on. What go is it if you remove it and why? Oh yea thinking about those nice pulleys by RJ ,Does the center crank bolt need to be removed to change the pulley on the crank?

·
I want a Z06
6,024 Posts
I think you are talking about the intercooler fan that is attached to the crank pulley? Its designed to draw air through the stock intercooler.

People remove the fan if they upgrade to a front mount intercooler but if you have a stock location intercooler you want to leave it alone.

RJC makes a pulley that the IC fan will bolt to. Its the same thing just has the holes for the fan.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
I really don't know how much air the factory ic fan actually pulls thru the ic. I don't have one on any of my cars.

No, the pulley slides over the balancer hub/bolt and is held on by about six small bolts....stick your hand inside the factory pulley and you will feel the bolts if you cannot maneuver your head to see them. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Stick your hand in front of the intercooler scoop and feel how much air it pulls in just at idle. I was suprised on how much it did move. That's what the fan is for, to move air through the intercooler at low speeds. At higher speeds the scoop does most of the work of moving the air.

Brandon

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Yeah, it is surprising how much air it moves, especially considering there's no shroud. The fit between the fan and the back of the IC is awful. But, I guess if there were a shroud, the thing would choke off flow at higher speeds. On the other hand, if you take off the intercooler, you save weight, and let more air get to the crank pulley....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts