Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 84 T-Type but my factory RPM gauge is very inacurrate. I wanted to buy a Tach, nothing fancy just a simple 4 wire tach (Sunpro). What is a good source of tach signal. I've installed 2 tachs before on 2 other cars but they were carburated. I know that there is a green clip under the hood that is not connected, I've heard this is also a tach signal but not sure. Can anyone give me hits. Thanks.

red - positive
black - ground
white - light
green - tach signal

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
cesar:

red - positive
black - ground
white - light
green - tach signal
Yep, that 2 white wire/green clip is the tach signal. Note: The tach signal is 5.5V, not 12V like most normal cars. You may need to talk to John Spina @ Caspers for a module to convert this.

HTH,

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
just hooked my autometer tach up yesterday.works no problem.thanx steve.all i did was ran the tach lead to the green plug.probably the same thing for your 84 :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is there a converter needed to hook up the tach??
OR do you just hook up the tach using the provision behind the alternator...
(i.e.: "A Lick and a Promise")

dunno Confused,
Jim

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
all i did was run my tach lead to that green plug and that was it.works perfectly

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
Steve Wood:
Never heard of a converter. Some of the vdo tachs were looking for a different waveform and needed a mod to them. Don't recall if it was a diode or a resistor...Seems like the little tach would not work straight out of the box.
Yep.

I got the unit from Caspers for my VDO tach.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts