Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i hooked up all the wires to get my autometer tach working.. red to power, black to ground.. white for the light and green is supposed to go to the wire coming from the alternator, right? my car has a red wire at the alternator which goes to the battery and a single black wire which "plugs" into the alt. i traced this wire and it turns out it goes to the fuse box inside the car and is just jammed in behind the radio fuse no connector or anything. anyways my tach jumps a little when i turn the key and the lights work fine but it just stay at 0rpm when the car is running. any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
wrong wire....

There should be two test connectors coming out of the wiring harness at the front of the drivers side valve cover just below the alternator. First, these should not be plugged into one another.

Secondly, the one you want has a green connector with two white wires going into it. that is the tach connector. The one with the one gray wire is the fuel pump test connector. It has 12 volts on it when the engine is running. Do not plug that one to your tach.

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks alot steve. i just check out my car and these connectors were taped together and tucked under the harness, the fuel pump wire appeared to be stripped and making a connection with thetach wires, but nayways im gonna ge tit all cleaned up and try hooking up the tach to the green connector and see what happens. thanks again.

·
never under estimate ;)
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i just finished all the re-wiring and the tach works!! thanks!! only problem is everytime i fix something, somethign else breaks. when i fired the car up i noticed a little leak so upon investigation it appears to be a high pressure fuel line just under the ac compressor, it looks like a power steering hose almost,, rubber with metal flared ends.. well it looked like at one point this line rubbed against something either another line or the frame and it wore right through the metal.. buddy who had the car before me decided it would be a good idea to put a hose clamp with a little piece of heater hose around the hole and crank it down. i guess it worked for a while but i tried to re-repairing it using his method and it sprays out everywhere, i dont know what to do now?!?!?

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,851 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts