Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
David
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tablet to use with PL?? gnetic86 ???

Considering buying a Tablet to run PL instead of a laptop.

If i remember correctly Jeff (gnetic86) was using a tablet with PL.
But i can remember which one.
talk to me guys.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
The one i was using was an old "Motion" tablet. Pretty well built and I used a spare keyboard to temporarily mount it to the dash.

Not sure if PL will work under Windows 8, and if so Im not sure the screen will scale out.

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Operating System and USB port come to mind, both have to be compatible with the PL software. I would ask Bob Bailey(the inventor of PL) over on the other board...."TurboBob"

Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Looks like PL will run under Windows 8 with some tweaking.

windows 8 - Full Throttle Speed Tech Support

However...one thing to keep in mind...

Windows 8 comes in 2 flavors...Pro, and "RT". The RT version is sort of an equivalent to an ipad...its a walled garden where only apps purchased thru Microsoft's app store will run. The non RT versions will run your normal Windows apps such as Powerlogger.

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
what's a good laptop to use that can be seen in the sun? i can't see my screen during the day in the car due to the glare. :confused: thanks! sorry for semi hijack. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Not sure there's a good answer to this as they're all different. Have you tried turning up the brightness?

Some laptops automatically turn down the brightness when they're on battery, and usually you can just bump them back up. (Usually some combination of a Fn key and another key on the keyboard.)

Most modern laptops should be able to go plenty bright enough to be seen in the sun, but because they're backlit, its almost impossible to be 100%. E-readers like the Kindle, etc are different, I think they have reflective material behind the screen, so they use ambient light to go THRU the screen, not light from behind.

Where do you have your laptop?

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
Not sure there's a good answer to this as they're all different. Have you tried turning up the brightness?

Some laptops automatically turn down the brightness when they're on battery, and usually you can just bump them back up. (Usually some combination of a Fn key and another key on the keyboard.)

Most modern laptops should be able to go plenty bright enough to be seen in the sun, but because they're backlit, its almost impossible to be 100%. E-readers like the Kindle, etc are different, I think they have reflective material behind the screen, so they use ambient light to go THRU the screen, not light from behind.

Where do you have your laptop?
Thanks Jeff. Usually i sit it on the passenger seat.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Thanks Jeff. Usually i sit it on the passenger seat.
I've been known to put the laptop on the passenger side floor...you can set PL up for auto-logging if need be or pick up a tiny keyboard to put on the console (Micro Center in St Davids)

I just picked up a Windows 8 tablet recently and while it runs Powerlogger (haven't actually hooked it up yet), it does open and run, just fairly small considering its locked to a particular resolution.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts