Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of researching which turbo I want to buy. I want a 50/50 race/strip car. It is not my daily driver. Current mods: fuel system, exhaust 2 1/2 hooker, 009 injectors, stretch IC, 3000 stall orange stripe. Car runs 12.50 at 110 mph. Stock ported heads are on the works as well as 206/206 cam. Goal is 11.20 e.t

·
Registered
20 Posts
Out of those two options,I'd take the te60.Almost bought one before I decided on my te63.In my opinion,the te60 has a better compressor housing[the ta61 uses the stock compressor housing I believe,which appears to have less internal volume].Good luck.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'd go with the TE60 also for reasons stated above.I went with a TE64-1 for my car,can't wait to get it together

Steve

G

·
With the 3,000 stall converter, you should step up to a TA61 or equivilant.
This is a wonderful match and will be even more effective on the dragstrip as it will be on the street.

Ron

------------------
Ron's Custom Automotive
Certified NJ Emission Repair Facility
1-800-718-7667
GSCA # 2306 / PR Director
BCA # 26330
www.ronscustomauto.com
[email protected]

·
SCONE WIZARD...
704 Posts
The TE 60 has a better compressor housing... but (I think) the TA 61 has a better [bigger] turbine wheel....same turbine wheel as the TE 62.. They both flow 900 CFM...

Myself, I would choose the TA 61.

------------------
1987 Limited Turbo T,
12.28 @ 106 MPH w/a 1.62 60'
My 1987 Regal Limited Turbo T page..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Okay so where dose an TA-62 Fit in?
How much boost before it just blows hot air?
Is an Orange Stripe converter(3000)stall enough?
What about running it with stock heads?

I haven't seen anybody post with this turbo because of all the new options(PTE-series).
Does any one have expierince with this OLD school design?

G

·
Originally posted by Quickie:
Okay so where dose an TA-62 Fit in?
How much boost before it just blows hot air?
Is an Orange Stripe converter(3000)stall enough?
What about running it with stock heads?

I haven't seen anybody post with this turbo because of all the new options(PTE-series).
Does any one have expierince with this OLD school design?
A TA-62 will probably work fine with a good 3,000 stall 12"converter, but the motor's ability to place a load on it, i.e. "make sufficient power" becomes even more of a factor.
The 62 series turbo is the largest we would generally recommend coupling with a 12" converter. Anything larger, we mate with a 9" or 9.5" converter inorder to maintain reasonable good street manors and also be a bear on the dragstrip.
Facing reality, at one point in time, if you really stress your motor, and most do, it will eventually come apart. So when it's re-done properly, adding a little cam ( not much choice other than using an aftermarket one now) and headwork if desired, you will already have the max turbo in place, as long as you intend on staying with a 12' converter.

Ron

------------------
Ron's Custom Automotive
Certified NJ Emission Repair Facility
1-800-718-7667
GSCA # 2306 / PR Director
BCA # 26330
www.ronscustomauto.com
[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts