Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock GN and my stock turbo is no good so I am putting a Ta49 turbo and buying it from KirbanPerformance. Will a thrasher chip go good with that turbo.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I would consider a turbo from a different source, unless Kirban's has some sort of super deal going.

My guess is that the thrasher chip will work ok. But, I'm not much for chip knowledge.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Thrasher will work fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone know where i can get a good price on a new Ta49 turbo. Whats usually a good price for one of these turbos

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
John Craig may be a little more expensive, but you'll never need another one.

Conversely, you'll find a better deal at some places,.... and you get what you pay for.

Not that you'll definately tear one up, but if you do, you'll want the Craig Turbo.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Does Red sell JC turbos?
I heard that Postons were JC units?
May need more injector than stock for the 49.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
yes, Red sells them.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Originally posted by PRSRIZD_V6:
John Craig may be a little more expensive, but you'll never need another one.

Conversely, you'll find a better deal at some places,.... and you get what you pay for.

Not that you'll definately tear one up, but if you do, you'll want the Craig Turbo.
This John Craig have a website or something.
I maybe interested in dumping my stocker for a 49. Thought about a 51...... But since people were having problems with them....... 49 sounds good enough for me.
Thanks.

·
Registered
6,966 Posts
44's ain't bad either.

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
no website

Limit Engineering - John C. Craig
885 Kiowa Ave Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403
1 (928) 453-7321
1 (928) 453-0789 (fax)

As mentioned, Red Armstrong, Conley's Performance Plus, and others sell his units..often a bit cheaper than he does...He is a nice guy and builds great turbos.

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Originally posted by GNRacer:
Does anyone know where i can get a good price on a new Ta49 turbo. Whats usually a good price for one of these turbos
The guys are right.I've seen how turbos are built and balanced.Attention to detail is what counts.Proper balancing,clearances,etc. are what counts.
Up here,Jim Haley is the only guy I will let touch a turbo I own.He'll also be building any future turbos I buy[he can do 72's,etc.].He knows his stuff and his builds do last.
Sounds like you're going to do the right thing and get a properly built turbo the first time.
You'll save down time and possible parts replacement with attendant costs.Do it right and enjoy yourself.
Have fun.

------------------
Give em' hell!

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I think the common thing is to buy from a vendor that sells his (John Craig) turbos and have him do any retro, upgrades or rebuilds.

He did some preventive mantainence on one of mine and I couldn't believe how reasonable his prices were; still runs great 5 years later.

You can ask him dumb questions and he doesn't freak out...he's a good guy!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts