Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my limited hasn't started in several months. i had fuel pressure so i thought i had gas. but i added 5 gallons of gas anyway since my fuel gauge has been weird lately. after i added the gas, i noticed that when i turn the key to on i don't hear the fuel pump anymore and my fuel pressure is 0. So i bypassed the switch for the 2nd pump and got fuel pressure again. car still won't start. i remember the last few times i drove it almost stalled and finally did stall out and then never started again.

It feels like the car is not getting spark. it has classic fast and i was thinking of grabbing a used ecm and stock maf just to get the darn car off my lift. can i drive the car running on the 2nd pump? i'm guessing the primary pump ran dry and shorted once i put gas back in??? the pumps are brand new.

any advice is appreciated. thanks! :cheers:

·
Estimator
3,627 Posts
Do you have a noid light set to check that the fuel injectors are getting a signal, advanced auto has them for a couple of bucks Buy Autocraft Noid Light Set (6-pc) AC680 at Advance Auto Parts put a extra plug on one of the plug wires and lay it on the engine to check for spark too. You can check for fuel pressure at the fuel injection rail, if you have a gage on there.

Chuck

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome thanks guys. i will fool around with it and check back afterwards. :cheers:

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
installed a new GM coil pack and ignition module. (my old one is a turd anyway and is now my back up). car still won't start. checking for spark and injector pulse next unless someone suggests otherwise.

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

bad FAST ecm. mailing it to them for repair. keep fingers crossed. they are wondering if the injectors shorted out and damaged it. :confused:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Dam well hopefully you get that fixed. How often does the fast ecm go bad or any component of the system?

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
a lot of guys swear by the fast systems but i've had nothing but problems with them, including damaging my GN motor that was supposedly all dyno tuned and whatnot. but mine were all pretty old i think.

no update yet.

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
installed a new TT chip and used ecm. translator and z06 maf. still no injector pulse. crank sensor tested good i was told. :confused:

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
did you reconnect the inj harness power feed under the coilpack?

its the pink wire on the injector harness
Yes. I texted the mechanic the instructions from your other post.

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SHE'S ALIVE!!! Used ECM I bought off the board was junk. Shocker. Threw in my old ECM that was bouncing around my shop for years and she fired right up.

Thanks for the help!! Only problem now is it breaks up if i give it a little gas. even before it gets into boost. suggestions?? i can drive her normal if i drive like an old lady. can't have any fun at all though as she breaks up. check engine light is on. sm shows code 34. :confused:

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
34 means no MAF signal

mass air flow bad , disconnected /translator bad. set wrong disconnected ,
or the wire from under hood to ecm is open
or power or ground to maf sensor is open
thanks doc. i have a translator 6.1 and a 4" maf in pipe. i know the 6.25 needs to be set to 9 on the base gn knob. the 6.1 says 9 is not used. do i need a newer translator? :confused:

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you need a 6.25 update chip in the translator, the 6.22 was the latest and the 6.25 was the same as 6.22 but it added the setting for that 4" maf in the pipe

either get the chip
or find someone with a newer translator that has the 6.25 chip and trade with them , they will never need that setting
or buy a brand new one and sell the one you have
thanks doc. that's frustrating since the seller was acting like he pulled this stuff off his car and it all worked when in reality he just sold me stuff he had sitting around acting like it was all compatible. i paid almost new prices too. i will end up buying a 6.25 and selling my 6.1. thanks again doc!

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
update

okay so now i have a brand new translator 6.25

i'm confident i have everything hooked up properly and set correctly. After resetting ecm, she is still showing a 34 code error and not running right. i can't make any power, but i can drive normally.

i'm thinking there can only be two other possibilities..... bad maf stick sensor, or problem with the harness wiring. :confused::confused:

i ordered a new sensor from mike for the heck of it but i was told mine is good so now i'm worried about an electrical bug.

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i mentioned to you that the old fast harness may have inputed the map sensor by teeing into the maf sensor wire

check for continuity from the pin for the at factory maf plug (center pin - maf signal ) to the maf pin at ecm (pin B6 )

also check the maf signal wire at ecm and make sure the map sensor isnt connected to it

with voltmeter check maf sensor plug pink wire for 12v
and with ohm meter check the black wire at MAF plug that it goes to ground
My bad doc! Sometimes I need to be told things twice. Lol. I will check this immediately and report back. :cheers:

·
Master Plumber
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
did i mention that doc is an ANIMAL!? we are back in business!! followed your instructions and found the problem. the maf signal wire was tapped into at the ecm. two wires. i cut them and now we are in good shape!!

quick question: is there anything wrong with grounding the scanmaster in the B port of the aldl plug? it seems to work. :confused: i know the instructions don't mention it. :cheers:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Tb suspension..

We don't call him Doc for nothin he is a live encyclopedia of Buicks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.