Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I searched some and couldn't find much, what's the general consensus on using these cars as a Daily Driver? I'm looking to get one, but I don't want it to be a garage queen and would much rather drive it daily. Anyone using it as such? What's the thoughts out there?

·
Registered
192 Posts
depending on where you live, i would be afraid of it getting stolen. they are very easy to steal.. here in Philly it wouldn't last an hour parked on the street. I had thought about getting a CHEAP T-Type with no badges for a beat around car at one time.. ended up buying a 2002 Saturn for a grand instead.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
depending on where you live, i would be afraid of it getting stolen. they are very easy to steal.. here in Philly it wouldn't last an hour parked on the street. I had thought about getting a CHEAP T-Type with no badges for a beat around car at one time.. ended up buying a 2002 Saturn for a grand instead.

I live right outside the city, Chester County. You say they are easy to steal, won't a good aftermarket alarm system help that? What makes them easy to steal Is the worry only if they are branded t-type or is it for all older Regals?

·
Registered
192 Posts
the body styles are very popular and lets face it, the parts are getting harder to find and are expensive. an alarm could help scare them away. but its not 100%. i had a car with an alarm and a CLUB on the steering wheel. when i went outside, the only thing parked in the spot was the CLUB.

with a simple flat head screwdriver they make a small hole next to the door lock. they pull the lock a little and turn it.. unlocks the door. then once inside they take the same screw driver and break the side of the colum. there is a pin that connects to the ignition lock. they pull the pin, starts the car, then they rip the shifter into gear and away they go.... in less than 3 minutes.. its a shame its almost too easy for anyone...

if its a daily driver i would invest in a good alarm.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Like Kenny said that engine fits in a lot of different cars very easy. I know 3 people who had them stolen who daily drove them. The Grand National is a bigger target then a T for sure. I always wanted to get one as a daily driver but I'm too anal and I'll have it so clean in a matter of time I won't want to drive it. :) They also rust fast in this area when driven in the salt. Summed up a 25 year old car does not last too well when used on a daily basis. You'll almost have to find a perfect one or do a mini restoration on one to use it daily. Window rubber, bumper fillers don't hold up too well when in the elements all the time.

·
Gotta love the autobahn!
2,726 Posts
I used to drive mine as a daily many years ago.

As others have said, with the rarity of these cars, and possibility of them being stolen, I wouldn't say it's the best car to be using daily.

Theft aside, I would say don't have this as your PRIMARY vehicle. Let's face it... they're 25 years old and not built during GMs prime for quality engineering. I drove mine almost every day to work, but had a truck that was 4x4 ready to go at a moments notice. Of course, this was handy during foul weather.

Also, the Buick can be a project at times and you'll want to be able to have down time to make mods and such without worrying about getting to work.

A couple other things to keep in mind. Insurance will possibly not cover a car that is driven daily, parked in work/store parking lots on a regular basis and is subject to the daily idiots on the commute. I may drive my Buick to work on occasion (not lately of course) but seeing the number of people who have no respect for the fact that you're driving a classic and just cut you off or nearly plow into you, I'd rather not take the chance regularly. Even if it is insured. I've put way too much time, money and sweat equity into my car for some idiot to smack into it because they were putting on their make-up or rushing because they're late to work.

My advice.. keep it at home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts