Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how do you know when u have a clogged cat? i know bad gas mileage is one of the symptoms. Will stuff like Xylene clog the cat?

------------------
87 GN Hardtop~ stock motor, stock intercooler w/Duttweiler big neck,stock D5 converter, TE 51 w/.63 exhaust housing,big mouth cold air induction, hotwired walboro 340, MSD 50's, cold air induction, stock TB and plenum, THDP, 3" ATR dual exhaust, 10 mm Magnecor wries, B&M tranny cooler, performance transmissions deep aluminum pan, Dynotech shift kit, VDO gauges, Autometer boost gauge, SMC alchy injection, PTE remote oil system, ATR 3" maf pipe, scanmaster 2, boost command

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Put your hand over exhaust tailpipe and see how much flow it has. I have heard if the cat is clogged it will suck in on your hand.

·
So easy cavemen can do it
534 Posts
you will also have a huge performance loss when your cat is plugged...trust me, i went throught the same thing this summer...i had the STOCK cat on after 60k miles and finally noticed i was losing lots of horsepower...changed the entire exhaust system and downpipe and have never been happier since

·
NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD
2,284 Posts
xylene is not good for cats (or dogs. sorry had to.) anyway it is not safe on O2 sensors either. this can cause a bigger problem yet. never heard of a clooged cat sucking on your hand but you will notice less pressure than usual. mpg will drop. doggy on acceleration. sometimes will make a rattling noise. plus to much pressure building up from the turbo.

------------------
Mustang, it's what's for dinner.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought xylene wouldnt hurt o2 sensors and cats. i use xylene frequently just to keep the injectors clean

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Xylene IS safe for cats (not live ones) and O2 sensors if you dont exceed the 33% ratio to gasoline. It is also a active ingredient in pump gas.

------------------
ED BAKER
87-T-TYPE, PT54,MSD50's,Crane Billet Roller,JE forged20over,P&P Heads,Manley valves,Hemco 65mm& Acu65TB,V2 FM, P.I.9.5 -7disc,Jimmys Trans, new times soon.
93 PARK AVE"SUPERCHARGED"
67RS/SS350 CAMARO
mailto:[email protected][email protected]</A>
http://www.modernmusclecar.net

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Yes, it is safe on sensors and cats....

Best test for a clogged cat is to take it off and see how it runs. A clogged cat will usually not make boost quickly or easily, and the car may run hotter. I believe the vacuum will be low as well.

You can see light thru a good cat when you hold it up and look thru it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well my car makes boost pretty fast and the car doesn't run hot. so i guess my THDP cat is still good. Vacuum readings are at 16-17

·
Premium Member
43,735 Posts
Anyone notice that Zap spelled backwards is Cat?

·
NOW AVAILABLE ON DVD
2,284 Posts
sorry about the xylene comment. i was thinking of the wrong octane booster. i checked that today at work. berrymans has an octane booster called go go octane booster and says right on it not safe for cats or o2's. not sure on the active ingredient is on it though.

------------------
Mustang, it's what's for dinner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts