Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name's Steven and as stated I am a Sy/Ty guy. I am not looking to sell or trade my Typhoon. I am helping to put a 1985 GN back on the road that's been in storage (inside a dry shop) for 20 years. I have run into several complications and I'll touch on those in a tech thread. Hopefully this place is as helpful as the Land Cruiser (IH8MUD), HotRod (HAMB) and Sy/Ty (Sy/Ty.net) forums I am also on.

Please help me put another GN back on the road!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Cool deal requiring 5 posts here before cluttering up the forum. So far using the search function I have found info to guide my troubleshooting. We have the 1985 FSMs here and they help, but only just so much. Passing along experience seems to be the key.

So, info on the 1985 GN. It was stolen and recovered (I don't know the full story or when). For some reason the thieves cut the switches out of the doors. The didn't damage the door panels, but pulled the switches free and cut the wires. That's the simple stuff. New switches are on hand, and I'll be soldering them in rather than crimp splice. For some reason or other it was stuffed away in my friend's (the owner) shop on a lift. Hasn't seen full on sun light in 20 years and been on the lift just as long. It is in the California High Desert, so rust isn't an issue. Dry-rot, however... From what I can tell there are a few light mods on it from a previous owner. There is an adjustable FPR, and the fuel pump (Which was bad) was a Walbro 255 (20 year old fuel made sure it didn't work). The current owner says the turbo is not stock as well. It is a Garrett, and I have found an M10 on the housing. The wastegate actuator is confusing me as it has 2 vacuum connections (this is throwing me off in figuring out proper vacuum routing). There was also a manual boost control valve plumed into the vacuum system too, now gone). Until today there was an aftermarket alarm in it.

Plans: Get it back up and running properly. We'll go through all fluids, filters, etc... the standard tune up stuff. Once that is all good and it can be reliably driven, we'll be replacing the seat covers and detailing up the interior. After that I think my friend intends on either getting it fully re-painted or repairing what few scars are on the exterior. Following that he hasn't decided on keeping it and enjoying it for a while or putting it up for sale.

I don't want to get into any of the troubleshooting issues here as this is a place for intro's Maybe with a few searches I can figure it out on my own. So far I have found tha twhat I am running into isn't unique, and already documented here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, thanks to the experience here and use of the search feature, we got it running!! :headbang: Now for the detail stuff. Gotta figure out the vacuum routing, change all fluids and filters (fuel filter is already done), troubleshoot the CEL, and get it all shiny inside and out.

So, why wouldn't it fire up before? Well to start with the 20 year old fuel in the tank was bad and also took out the fuel pump. We changed the pump and filter, and cleaned out the fuel lines. After that we got no power to the fuel pump. We did get power to the pump by jumpering out the fuel pump relay socket. So we changed the relay. Still no help. Found out through threads here about the oil pressure switch connector/wiring possibly causing shutdown of the fuel pump relay. We cranked it over with the fuel pump electrically disconnected. While being cranked we had a volt meter on the vehicle side connector to the fuel pump. After several seconds voltage appeared. Then we jumpered 12 volts into the pump to prime the system and fill the new filter (schrader valve was removed for this). Got fuel at the schrader valve, and reconnected the vehicle wiring. After a turn of the key and a couple engine rotations to fully build up pressure it fired right up and idles fine:headbang:

Feel llike I am talking to myself here though. Kinda tough to get those 5 posts like this. I'd rather post about actual troubleshooting, etc... in the proper sections.

·
2 GN's = No money!!
5,116 Posts
Well, thanks to the experience here and use of the search feature, we got it running!! :headbang:

Feel llike I am talking to myself here though. Kinda tough to get those 5 posts like this. I'd rather post about actual troubleshooting, etc... in the proper sections.
Congratulations on getting the car running!! :yup::cheers:

Make a couple of one word posts to get to 5 posts and then you can post in the tech section which see's more traffic and you will probably get more help.

Welcome to TBs.com

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured that making one word pointless posts defeated the purpose of the 5 post deal. Oh well. guess I'll follow the norm for that. :dunno:

·
OK! Who Farted Again??
17,852 Posts
I would either clean the injectors (at a shop) or get new ones with an updated chip. Try TurboTweak Home Eric makes great chips!
Also the 84-85 Hotair section on TurboBuick.Com has a lot of great info specific to those years. We don't have that many members with Hotairs compared to the 86-87 intercooled cars.

2 must read sites Turbo Regal Web Site & Vortex Buicks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks or the heads up on the other sites for the Hot Air cars. I'll brobably visit them but not sign up. The car isn't mine and I only signed up here out of a little despiration to use the search feature, or possibly ask a few questions to get her moving under her own power.

So, one of the owners did some tings to this car that has taken some time to figure out. The vacuum lines were all messed up. Between the FSM and a screen shot of the vacuum diagram from the core support, I got it all straightened out and replaced the lines with silicone ones.

It actually drove off the lift today, from where it has been pearched for over 12 years. The owner says it hasn't been driven in 20 though.

Off to the regular forum section!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts