Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is in the archives, but I've seen different part#'s on the Moog springs, & I want to be sure. I just want replacement springs for the GN. Don't want it lowered at all. Can someone post the correct # & the cheapest place to purchase please?

In case you're interested, here's my suspension list:
1) Moog springs
2) Bilsteins
3) HR Parts (rear)lower control arms
4) ATR sway bar

I was thinking of looking at the Hotchkis swaybar, but can't seem to locate (picture/price) online. It seems the vast majority of guys w/ aftermarket ones have the ATR anyway. Any comments more than welcome.

·
Shaker X
1,630 Posts
What are you trying to achieve so that we can help you better? The sway bar question can go a couple of different ways depending upon Drag Racing, Road Racing/Auto Cross, and good street manners.

Springs are also going to be different depending upon application.

I think the Bilstiens are the way to go regardless of application.

Here is link for my set up to turn... http://www.hotrodbuick.com/1987gn.html

Here is a Moog Spring chart that was compiled by Rob Smith and Jeff Davidson...
http://www.hotrodbuick.com/springs.html

I think most folks are getting the Moog springs from the local auto parts store.

Let us know your intentions so we can help you

------------------
Greg Smith
SSCC #308
TCRA #308

www.hotrodbuick.com

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the late response Greg. I left right after posting. I also appreciate the links. It's a little more involved than I thought. The car will be a daily driver, with the occasional track visit. I'm naturally more interested in drivability. I will have plenty of hp to run in the 11's, after I learn to drive/tune the car.

The car is a GN, with power everything & air conditioning. Thanks.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have hotchkis lower control arms, Gas-A-just(or something like that) shocks, ATR's swaybar, the springs kirban sells all around, and the front and rear frame braces Kirban sells. My car rides kind of stiff, but smooth. It take corners well(as well as a G-body can) and it hooks well. I haven't tried the Nittos at the track yet, only street tires. I hope this helps.

oh, as far as prices go, I only bought the control arms and frame braces; both are from Kirban. For some silly reason, I did not shop around.

[This message has been edited by shaunchrisc (edited May 26, 2002).]

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have a WS-6 sway bar from a 96' trans-am I am about to put on my car. It has a wider diameter and weighs 8lbs less.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Hotchkiss has a one inch rear bar for the Buicks. Stiffer than stock, but nowhere near as rigid as the ATR monster. Part number is 2201R. Someone else, maybe Performance Suspension, has a 1" bar that is cheaper than Hotchkiss. Hot Rod (1996)did an article on "Project G Force" which was a Monte Carlo with the "B" body spindles, and Hotchkiss suspension pieces. On BFG Competition TAs, in 16" (GNX) size, it did 0.89 Gs on the skid pad, and 64.23mph in the slalom. That compares to 0.91 Gs and 65.7mph for a 1996 Corvette.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I'll probably go with the ATR bar. I found a good bit of info on the different springs & such. Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts