Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive been thinking alot lately- my origional goal was low 10s- stock block. well im selling the stock block for a TA aluminum block

ive been working on the suspension and brakes the past couple weeks and have a few questions

i want to go mid 9s- around 150mph

whats required to pass NHRA frame cert?

and for a parachute- what are my options? ive been looking at it and my cars going to weigh in around 3200- at 150MPH it exceeds the "funny" chutes- will i beable to get away with the highest series of chutes? also what about mounting- can you make a removable mount- or does the mount have to be welded to the frame?

can anyone show me some pictures of their chute mounts and how they mounted it to the car.

thanks for any help!

·
Metro6ual
360 Posts
First off, get an NHRA rule book from a speed shop and then talk to a chassis shop. Even if you don't use them, most shops will be helpful with advice, plus you'll get some idea of how much you're abou to spend.

Everyone will tell you this but it is going to be expensive to start from scratch. Seriously consider buying a car that has had the hard work done for you. In the end you'll be happier because you'll be able to race sooner and you'll be money waaaaay ahead in the end. Trust me, you'll do enough maintenance, repairs and modifications you'll feel accomplished after a short time.

You're going to want to be light to go that fast but you'll still need some good 4 piston drag race brakes up front and a decent set of brakes on the rear.

I think you'll be ok with one chute, just get one that the manufacturer tells you you need. Call them up and ask. I'm going to be making a chute mount soon for my car and it will be removable. I'm actually going to make a trailer hitch receiver and the chute mount will go into that. Location for a chute mount is very important and it should be tough enough that you could hoist the car off the ground and hang by it. Mine's going to be a trailer hitch because I'd like to run Drag Week with the car and you need a trailer for that.

Good luck, and remember, the fun is in the building, detailing and modifying. After that, you're just fixing the stuff you break. :wink:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks so much man

i have an NHRA rule book from 2005, i just figured somone could give me some basic tips on getting a chassis cert for 9 seconds in a g body

i thought about just all out buying one done, but i love building them myself. every car ive ever owned started out as a daily driver then ended up getting torn down and built back up my way- id never be happy with somone elses car.

for the engine i was thinking about waiting untill a turn key stage motor comes around when i have the coin to buy it.

thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
19 Posts
For a car that fast, do upgrade the brakes, a 12 ft chute will do the trick, remember you have brakes on all 4 corners, my prepference would be for 1.25'' .12 wall DOM 4130, inserted into a larger tube secured with a grade 8 1/2'' bolt, this makes it removeable, not too keen on the trailer hitch idea as it is pretty low, you want it up to catch some air on deployment, it would take a pretty heft upswept bar to do that with some bracing.

I have some pics of the mount on my TSO car that is done well and hidden behind the license plate, send me a direct e-mail and I will dig out some pics for you.

For the cage, you need to look at a 8-10 point 1.625 dia 4130, front and rear hoop, x the doors and the rear down bars.
Strongly suggest passing it thru the firewall also, tie your parachute to the rear cage structure and brace the factory frame under the doors as well as the 4 link pickup points. :sw:

·
Registered
19 Posts
oops, make that 1.625'' dia 4130 DOM !! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts