Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my suspensions is very hard and stiff. Rides like a tank i have bilsteins and kirban springs on all 4 wheels. Should i dump these and put stock stuff back i have stock struts,shocks i dont have the original springs. any idea what to do. please help.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
How many miles are on the car? original bushings (suspension and body)? I had this problem when i went to bilsteins on my stock 160k car. Problem was the body bushings were shot so the body was banging around on the frame (at least thats what it felt like) Put in some replacement bushings, now the car rides amazingly with the bilsteins

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I posted the first reply, I should get it if he puts the stock junk back on... :yup: Like i said before, that stuff is great, but if everything else under there is in bad shape, its just going to give you that stiff ride instead of helping. I would suggest checking those bushings before taking anything off

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
Haha! I guess we could split it. :cheers: Anyway... good luck with the ride dude. Check out your body bushings. That is really the only thing that would cause the ride to be harsh. Bilstein's are a stiffer shock, and Kirban springs are a bit stiffer as well. But, it shouldn't really ride like a wagon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm. my suspensions has the upper and lower hokkiss arms. My car simply put it does not plant. it just burns rubber. i want it to be a little softer. should i swap out springs with moog ones or a set of stock springs?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
If it doesnt plant, try some air bags....i thought you meant the ride in general was harsh

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
What are the tires? The stock sizes will ride softer than if you have gone to 17s or 18s. It's also easier to get them (15s or 16s) to "hook" than the tires with the very short sidewalls.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
First pictures my car at rest, second pic is of it working :D I have Comp. Eng. shocks out back with no air bags and UMI adjustable uppers set at stock lenght. Umi lowers are non-adjustable. Springs are used out of a 84 monte SS. Stock spring sat to low so I traded a buddy. I love the stance my car has and 60' are 1.68 so far. I plan on installing an ATR rear sway bar(already have it) pull the front and then put on comp 90/10 in the front. Hope for 1.60 or better then. Oh yeah both pictures have everything in the trunk( spare tire and jack). Even with street tires BFG T/A's it hooks pretty good considering

Attachments

·
It's a 'G' thang
1,071 Posts
With all of the suspension work on your car, I'll bet it handles real well. That too, is why your car rides so hard. You've got a great "handling" setup with aftermarket goodies. It's not going to ride as soft as stock. If you tried to get it to ride like stock, you'd probably lose alot of handling performance. Figure out what's more important... Handling or street and strip performance? :)

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I don't think its your shocks. iIve heard nothing but good things about Bilstiens. What are the springs rated at? How does the car sit?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
car sits high from day i put bilsteins and springs in it. i want it for the street/strip. I have kirban springs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts