Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

As fellow G-body owners, you all know how our cars get smoked in handling and braking.

What are the options here? More and more, I'm tempted to get a Vette and throw in the towel but my buddy keeps telling me to hang in there and see what options are out there.

What experiences / suggestions do you all have in this regard? dunno

Thanks.

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
In so many words:

Buy my car (seriously).

It is probably the best handling and braking Turbo Regal in Ontario, dare I say Canada?

Nah, that would be pushing it. wink

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, it sounds like for the price of the Vette, our GN's can be made to go a hell of a lot faster and handle decently. I think I may stay in this camp after all...

In any case, Mike, what did you do to your car (besides the rims :) )?

BTW, how are things? Haven't seen you forever...

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
The more you set up your car for handling the slower it will get in the straight line dragrace. You will never out maneuver a ZO6 but new body and suspension bushings and Bilstein shocks will help a lot. I noticed you had air bags. With the rear pumped up you handling will go to hell. Do a search on disc brake conversions since there are many options out there. I have rear disc brakes and I can stop on a dime. I still have the powermaster too.

·
6,603 Posts
scope168:
In any case, Mike, what did you do to your car (besides the rims :) )?

BTW, how are things? Haven't seen you forever...

Suspension & Brakes:
Front: Robert Adams 12" 1LE Brake System w/ Tubular UCAs; Boxed Stock LCAs w/ Global West Del-A-Lums; F-body Springs (1 Coil Cut); 36mm Hollow F-body Sway Bar w/ MOOG G2 Bushings & Endlinks; MOOG Suspension/Steering Components Everywhere!; “Competition Alignment”
Rear: South Side Machine LCAs & Bennets’ Single Adj. UCAs; Monroe Gas-Charged Shocks; MCSS F41 Sway Bar; Stock Rear Springs; Aluminium Brake Drums

Wheels: 17x9.5" Ronal R15s w/ 275/40/17 Kumho Supra 712s (On All 4 Corners)

Oh, and the reason I haven't been around much... is because I am thinking of pulling the plug on this hobby. Probably selling the Malibu and the Regal and just toying with the SS.

Granny 2, kiss my butt... angrymou I squeaked a 13.2 out this year (on the 17s). :D

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Mike, Why did you go with Monroe Gas-Charged Shocks and not Bilsteins or KYB's? I had those shocks in my stock 85 Monte and it handled like a 59 Caddy. I took them out after a few months and put in an old set of KYB's with 80K miles out of my turbo Buick. It was a 150% improvement. No flame just curious.

·
6,603 Posts
ULYCYC:
Mike, Why did you go with Monroe Gas-Charged Shocks and not Bilsteins or KYB's?
LOL. Yeah, about those... :rolleyes:

Really it was just money. I ran out this summer... the wheels and tires did it. The combo is calling for a set of 12-ways from QA1... and if I had $800+ for them, I have them. wink :D

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i have KYB's and i love them. it handels alot better then it did and at the track i still launch great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.