Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

As fellow G-body owners, you all know how our cars get smoked in handling and braking.

What are the options here? More and more, I'm tempted to get a Vette and throw in the towel but my buddy keeps telling me to hang in there and see what options are out there.

What experiences / suggestions do you all have in this regard? dunno

Thanks.

·
aka: mOtOrHeAd MiKe
6,603 Posts
In so many words:

Buy my car (seriously).

It is probably the best handling and braking Turbo Regal in Ontario, dare I say Canada?

Nah, that would be pushing it. wink

·
Resident Idiot
11,462 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, it sounds like for the price of the Vette, our GN's can be made to go a hell of a lot faster and handle decently. I think I may stay in this camp after all...

In any case, Mike, what did you do to your car (besides the rims :) )?

BTW, how are things? Haven't seen you forever...

·
Registered
567 Posts
Originally posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe:

It is probably the best handling and braking Turbo Regal in Ontario, dare I say Canada?

Nah, that would be pushing it. wink

Mike, thank God it handles good because its not much good for straight line runnin'. nono

cheers

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
The more you set up your car for handling the slower it will get in the straight line dragrace. You will never out maneuver a ZO6 but new body and suspension bushings and Bilstein shocks will help a lot. I noticed you had air bags. With the rear pumped up you handling will go to hell. Do a search on disc brake conversions since there are many options out there. I have rear disc brakes and I can stop on a dime. I still have the powermaster too.

·
6,603 Posts
scope168:
In any case, Mike, what did you do to your car (besides the rims :) )?

BTW, how are things? Haven't seen you forever...

Suspension & Brakes:
Front: Robert Adams 12" 1LE Brake System w/ Tubular UCAs; Boxed Stock LCAs w/ Global West Del-A-Lums; F-body Springs (1 Coil Cut); 36mm Hollow F-body Sway Bar w/ MOOG G2 Bushings & Endlinks; MOOG Suspension/Steering Components Everywhere!; “Competition Alignment”
Rear: South Side Machine LCAs & Bennets’ Single Adj. UCAs; Monroe Gas-Charged Shocks; MCSS F41 Sway Bar; Stock Rear Springs; Aluminium Brake Drums

Wheels: 17x9.5" Ronal R15s w/ 275/40/17 Kumho Supra 712s (On All 4 Corners)

Oh, and the reason I haven't been around much... is because I am thinking of pulling the plug on this hobby. Probably selling the Malibu and the Regal and just toying with the SS.

Granny 2, kiss my butt... angrymou I squeaked a 13.2 out this year (on the 17s). :D

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
Mike, Why did you go with Monroe Gas-Charged Shocks and not Bilsteins or KYB's? I had those shocks in my stock 85 Monte and it handled like a 59 Caddy. I took them out after a few months and put in an old set of KYB's with 80K miles out of my turbo Buick. It was a 150% improvement. No flame just curious.

·
6,603 Posts
ULYCYC:
Mike, Why did you go with Monroe Gas-Charged Shocks and not Bilsteins or KYB's?
LOL. Yeah, about those... :rolleyes:

Really it was just money. I ran out this summer... the wheels and tires did it. The combo is calling for a set of 12-ways from QA1... and if I had $800+ for them, I have them. wink :D

·
Fuhgeddaboudit
18,613 Posts
I thought so wink QA1's are nice shocks 1FastV6 just put them on his car. He is very happy with them. It's nice you can adjust them while still on the car.

·
I'm the Best!
14,818 Posts
i have KYB's and i love them. it handels alot better then it did and at the track i still launch great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts