Turbo Buick Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone familiar with the Eaton M90 supercharger? The one on my 1998 Grand Prix GTP is making noise, not sure if it just needs a new nose or a complete rebuild. I know about the coupler inside that can rattle, and it does have a tiny bit of play, but I think its more than that. If I take the nose off...what can I check for that would decide one way or the other?

BTW...its got 170,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
everyone i get at work i listen to with a mechanics stethescope it 99.9% of the time is the nose cone.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if I pull the nose cone and the rotors seem to spin free, its prob the nose cone then? I guess you can't pull the rotors without completely removing it from the engine (to line them up in the back bearings).

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
throw a nose cone on and be done with it- if im wrong ill buy you a new unit :sw:

a couple of people that came into our dealer bought junkyard SCs and had us put them on and told us to trash the old ones. the one guy had 3 of them- bought 3 nose cones and cleaned them up and sold them. ive never had the rotors fail- its always in the nose

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool I'll prob just do that then. I changed and topped off the oil a couple days ago when I initially checked it out (admittedly it may have been low), and this morning I came out to find half the oil laying on the ground in all of its putred vileness (it just smells great!). Since my street is rounded my car leans to the right, so the oil is leaking out the nose (unless I overfilled it somehow).

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PS - Where do you get the nose cones...you going through GM or getting them through Intense or ZZ Performance?

Jeff

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
the GM ones are expensive- i beleive the site my buddy got his off of was ZZ performance. the GM ones are like 750$- and the others are around 400 i think.

and yes that stuff smells disgusting- especialy when warm. last summer after road testing one of the techs drained the oil from the supercharger, soaked a rag with it and put it behind my fan. i was like damnnn i took a shower this morning that cant be me. an hour later i found the rag after everyone was looking at me laughing all day :cheers:

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
What's involved with a cone swap? I think I'ma need one soon too. :crazy: Might be time to drop one more pulley size too :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
i wonder if a eaton m112 would fit? because they pop up cheap all the time on svtperformance.com ive seen alot of ported ones also.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aaron - seems that cone swaps are easy, only pita part is taking off the alternator. From what I read, you gotta watch because the cone bolts also hold up the wall between the cone and the rotors - if the rotors fall out or you pull them out, you may have to pull the supercharger to get them back in.

I'm still debating...$200 for a rebuilt cone, or $650 for a whole new supercharger @ zz...decisions...decisions.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PS - you gotta take me for a ride in your GTP some day...I wanna see how the aftermarket comp makes the trans shift. Was racin a buddy in a rental Malibu and my trans started acting like overdrive was slipping. Maybe it was just hot since its back to normal now, but it def. had me worried. So much for my super-performance trans from a certain shop.

We went driving around in the Malibu and the trans (prob the same one as the Grand Prix) seemed very responsive with nice crisp shifts...something I've been longing for in this car since I got it. Its not bad now but a lil closer to the GN trans would be nice :D

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
#$%#$%#$ Transmission

Its definitely acting up...was fine for the past few days although I really didn't drive it much, then today, my first day back to work (and my 30 mile commute), its definitely slipping or doing something. I have a feeling the torque converter is toast, although it could be the pressure control solenoid thats a known issue on the 4t65 transes too. I think Dynotech originally never replaced the solenoid, then on my second (out of 4) trips back they replaced it, but not sure if they replaced it with a new one or used. Its only a $50 "you should definitely replace it" part, you'd think they'd replace it on a $3000 rebuild.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Jeff, sounds like you're having my kind of luck lately. Although I have to say I have had good luck with the GTP. Anytime you wanna roll in the GTP noooooo problem. Also, let me know if you need help getting yours to Dynotech before they move to LI. Hope things turn around for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts