Turbo Buick Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our "family fleet" of DDs includes a 96 Regal "Custom" 4-door, (yes, w/3800 "Series II") with only 72K miles.
The "handling" seems to have deteriorated well beyond standard Buick "luxury" to the point of near-dangerous "floating".
I want to replace all 4 struts, was thinking that maybe 96 Gran Sport units would give some better control... but it seems as though the replacement parts are all the same. Advance has "Monroe" or "KYB" available.
Any suggestions as to what to look out for or to do or not do?
Thanks,
Mark

·
'86 GN
1,435 Posts
You're at the time/mileage where ANY quality shock will make it handle like a new car. I prefer the KYB though.

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, Gary.
I went thru this with a Pontiac a "while back" with the "Rally Tuned Suspension", and the replacement struts were a poor substitute (of course that car was not 16 years old at the time, either).
I "was hoping" for something a little more "buttoned down"...

·
Registered
947 Posts
susp..

You think a set of Konis or Bilsteins are overkill? might make a big difference though, any springs on the suspension?

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
With a 16 yr old car I would go over the entire suspension Rack n pinion, ball joints, springs, Struts. Springs and struts I agree will give it the most life back. Does the car have
15" tires or 16"? I think the most of the GS had 16" and parts might be different.

Stefan

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You are correct, there are no separate replacements for different trim levels, went through that when replacing the original struts on my 99 Regal GS. Your best bet are the Delco, Sensa-Trac, or KYB GR2 from RockAuto. Dont get them from Advance, AutoZone, etc theyre much cheaper online even with shipping.

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.
Herb indicated that he can get the KYBs for me ("ABC Direct").
Advance has an "On-line" sale for 20% off, free shipping for orders over $75
I will also check Rock Auto before I buy anything.

Overall the car is in very good shape, goes down the road straight as an arrow and smooth as silk at any speed you care to go... just a little "bouncy". Tire wear was pretty even, but I had it aligned last year anyway when we put the new tires on. It has been in the family since new, was always garage kept (until the TTA took its spot :( in May), and has basically served to transport mostly only 1 person at a time.
Tires are 205/70-15s, this is the "Custom" (bottom?) trim.

Mark

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
In addition to replacing the struts...check the wheel bearings (should be ok with that mileage) and both sway bars. The front bar tends to crack at the ends where it attaches to the links and the back bar on mine cracked inside the bushing..I didn't even know it was broken until half of it fell on the mechanic when he put it on the lift :eek!:

On the struts you can usually tell when they're gone...the rubber under the cups up top will look "melted" and the cups will be horribly offset to the rubber as well.

If you do end up needing wheel bearings stick with Timkens.

·
car crazy from birth
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Jeff.
We've kept a pretty good eye on things since it we've had it (2005?). I think the fact that it was always in the garage is a big help.
I'll remind my mechanic buddy to check it over while things are apart, then the same thing when it goes in to get re-aligned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts